Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.
Gratitude is a disease of dogs.
Here's an index involving characters showing gratitude (and the lack thereof).
- And Your Reward Is Clothes
- And Your Reward Is Edible: When you get food as an expression of gratitude for heroics.
- Androcles' Lion: 'Cause even animals can show gratitude.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: When a character shows gratitude to the hero for being kind to him when no one else was.
- Complaining About Rescues They Don't Like
- Crossing the Burnt Bridge
- Debt Detester: Somebody who hates owing anybody anything.
- Does Not Know How to Say "Thanks": A character has no idea how to respond to the character's act of kindness.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: When nobody gives the hero any gratitude or respect he deserves.
- Dude, Where's My Reward?: When the hero isn't given the material/monetary reward that he's earned.
- Entitled Bastard: Isn't grateful for your help, yet expects you to help them anyways.
- Grudging "Thank You": Thanking a character, though with some reluctance.
- The Farmer and the Viper: When kind deeds are repaid with not only ingratitude but also an act of evil.
- Hospitality for Heroes
- 100% Heroism Rating: When everybody gives the hero the respect that he's earned.
- I Feel Guilty; You Take It: When the hero turns down a reward that he feels he doesn't deserve.
- Involuntary Charity Donation
- I Owe You My Life: When the hero's reward is lifelong devotion and loyalty from whoever he helped.
- Keep the Reward
- Klingon Scientists Get No Respect: When the hero is disrespected because he doesn't wear his people's hat.
- Kneel Before Frodo: A gesture of respect and gratitude towards a hero who's lower on the social scale.
- Makes Us Even: a mathematical sort of gratitude often seen between characters with normally opposing agendas
- Recruited from the Gutter
- Rescue Romance: When the hero's reward is love.
- Short-Lived Big Impact: Because sometimes imitation/inspiration is the highest form of flattery.
- The Simple Gesture Wins: After several grand gestures, the one that inspires the most gratitude is the unimpressive one.
- Smooch of Victory: When the hero's reward is a kiss. (Possibly a prelude to Rescue Romance.)
- Snarking Thanks: Showing gratitude in a sarcastic or insulting manner.
- Standard Hero Reward: Like Rescue Romance, but with royalty.
- Stolen Good, Returned Better
- Thank the Maker
- Thank Your Prey: When the hero shows respect towards an animal he's killed for giving him sustenance.
- Thanking the Viewer: Because many creators and artists actually do depend on their loving fans.
- That Was the Reward
- Think Nothing of It: The hero doesn't accept the gratitude of others, usually due to being humble.
- Ungrateful Bastard: A character expresses a lack of gratitude to the one helping him.
- Wants a Prize for Basic Decency
- Why Couldn't You Save Them?
- Why, Thank You, X!
- You Would Do the Same for Me