Bill: Hey, Dear, that was supposed to be private!
Used for many purposes (aside from actually swimming of course). An obvious one is for Sex Sells in advertising, regardless of whether the product is the fur, the swimsuit or something else entirely (often a car).
Some publicity photos for movie starlets in The Golden Age of Hollywood had the actress wear this kind of outfit.
This can also count if the lady is wearing Fluffy Fashion Feathers (if those are worn in ways that fur is worn).
Compare Fur Bikini, Sexy Coat Flashing, Naked in Mink (the saucier form of this trope), Walking Swimsuit Scene. Not to be confused with Selkies and Wereseals putting their sealskins back on in order to swim.
- In this ad for Portmans coats, a cold wind drives everyone out of a pool, save for one lady who grabs a light brown faux fur jacket and continues to read by the pool.
- Picture comes from the movie The Stuff, which had a scene full of women wearing fur coats over swimsuits for commercials for "The Stuff".
- Demi Moore, in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, wore a bikini under a full length sable when she confronted Charlie.
- Jayne Mansfield wore a swimsuit with a white mink coat in Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? when her character makes a grand entrance at an airport.
- Rough Magic had a scene where the heroine lounged by the pool in a bikini and mink coat.
- Night and Day (loose biopic of Cole Porter) had a song with the singer wearing a fur coat, and then at the end reveals she had a swimsuit under it. The guys, on stage with her, then faint like they are toppling dominoes.
- One of the ladies in a Missing Trailer Scene for Hot Tub Time Machine is wearing just a white bikini top beneath her rabbit fur jacket, to helps show this was the more decadent 80s.
- The "Appreciation" number in Viva Las Vegas!. Ann-Margaret wore a white mink coat with a pink one-piece suit underneath.
- Several of the girls, including Sydney, are seen wearing fur coats over their bikinis at the pool party in Long Island at the start of American Hustle.
- Elle has a spread in the US November 2015 issue where the model was on a beach, wearing several furs over different swimsuits.
- For a shoot, Julianne Moore wore a fox jacket and black swimsuit◊.
- The 2013 swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated did a shoot in Antarctica with Kate Upton, and her outfits included quite a few furs paired with her swimsuits.
- Some eBay models like to do this, along with other auction sites.
- In Knights of Buena Vista, after Adriana tries to justify selling the ermine lining for her character's coronation cape by claiming it was too hot to wear fur, Mary says she loves wearing her furs in summer, especially over her swimsuit. Her boyfriend is embarrassed, as that was supposed to be a private thing between them.
- The Miss USA Beauty Contest once planned for the swimsuit competition to have the ladies wearing a fur coat, but host Bob Barker was in PETA by then, and said he would leave if they did that, so fake fur coats were used instead, which still counts (he did leave later on, because furs were still offered as prizes).
- A later Miss USA pageant had the swimsuit competition with white marabou coats.
- Some of the other nation counterparts to Miss USA do this with their swimsuit competitions, like Miss Russia and Miss Japan.
- One of the starlets mentioned above is Jane Powell (who would later become famous for Seven Brides for Seven Brothers), who did a publicity photo wearing an ermine wrap and a swimsuit with an ermine-trimmed neckline.
- Courtney Stodden once took a stroll in LA wearing a red bikini and faux leopard coat, apparently just to show off her figure to photographers.
- Take those geothermically warm natural pools in Iceland where people can swim or laze in comfortably hot water while the outside air temperature is minus ten, centigrade. It's great once you're in the pool. But do you think people walk from the changing room to the pool wearing only a bathing costume? This is where a fur coat becomes functional, as well as decorative.