Criminals rob a bank, and realize that the police are coming. That's where the Getaway Driver comes in. It's this guy's job to come in and drive the criminals away from cops with a chase scene to follow.
- In the manga of Sentou Yousei Yukikaze, Rei Fukai's backstory had him as this for a gang of jewel thieves. This was the crime that got him arrested and sent to Faery.
- In Sing, Johnny's dad wants him to be the getaway driver for a heist. The trouble is that it conflicts with the singing auditions.
- The titular character in Baby Driver drives bank robbers away from the scene.
- In The Criminal, Quantock is recruited as wheelman for the racetrack robbery. He is a cocky young bastard, but Bannion has to admit he does know how to handle a car.
- In Drive, the main character is this.
- In Drive a Crooked Road, Steve and Harold have a plan to rob the Palm Springs bank, but to pull it off they need a driver who can drive at high speeds on bad roads. To this end, the send Femme Fatale Barbara to seduce Eddie Shannon into becoming their wheelman.
- Faster: This was Driver's role in the original robbery, and during the getaway he displays the Badass Driver skills that will come into play during his Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- In Hangmen Also Die!, the plan for the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich includes one of these, but he is arrested for wasting gasoline by idling mere minutes before he's needed, so the assassin is forced to improvise.
- In Snatch., Tyrone is this despite his size causing his exits from the car to take long. But Sol said he's really fast when the situation calls for it.
- Jason Statham's character in the first The Transporter movie was this in the opening scene.
- In the video game Dino Attack, there's Montoya behind the wheel when he took on the job of being the getaway driver during the Dacta Corp.
- A string of side missions in Sleeping Dogs has Wei being a getaway driver for Calvin whenever he does something outrageous, like, oh I don't know, detonating a bomb at the police station while standing in front of it.
- PAYDAY The Heist and PAYDAY 2 has a getaway driver at the end of a heist, though sometimes the sequel mixes it up with a getaway boat and helicopter.
- In Gangsters in Love, the main character drives a getaway car in Ash's route.
- The Grand Theft Auto series feature the player or NPCs involved in being this in various forms. Most notably Grand Theft Auto V which features single and multiplayer heists were drivers are needed to escape enemies.
- The Legend of Korra has one of Toph's daughters being this for two criminals. (It sealed the rift between Lin and Suyin.)
- A Robot Chicken sketch has a group of robbers hiring Toad to be their getaway driver.
- An episode of Spongebob Squarepants has a criminal using SpongeBob as a getaway driver by pretending to be his new driving instructor. In this case, the criminal is the one in real danger.