A hunting minigame allows the player to hunt wild beasts.
It can be for various purposes: procuring meat for healing or feeding, getting drops to sell as Vendor Trash, Experience Points or simply to train one's shooting skills. Can also be done to acquire 20 Bear Asses.
Such games can either be Luck Based Missions, where the probability of success depends of a stat of the player or even on the Random Number God. Other games give a greater role to the player, letting him aim to the animals. Products can be used in Cooking Mechanics.
See also Fishing Minigame.
- Link in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can hunt wild animals, from birds, deer, and boar all the way up to woolly rhinoceroses. Each drops raw steak or bird meat of varying quality, which can be used for cooking or Vendor Trash. Hateno Village has a minigame in which Link can be hired by Dentz to cull deer for money in Retsam Forest.
- In Overlord II, there are seals in the Nordland the Overlord is able to hunt. Indeed, there's an achievement in clubbing 100 baby seals to death.
- Lara Croft of Rise of the Tomb Raider can hunt wild animals to get items for crafting.
- Laura of D2 is able to use her hunting rifle to shoot wild animals in order to heal herself with their meat.
- From David Ahl's BASIC Computer Adventures
- Marco Polo allows the player to hunt animals for meat while traveling to China.
- Likewise, Westward Ho! allows the player to hunt animals to get meat during the travel to the West.
- The ability to hunt is a recurring element in Breath of Fire games, usually by entering randomly spawning patches of grass on the World Map, which takes the player to an area with animals they can hunt by attacking with the party leader's weapon (most games have at least one character with a ranged weapon to make this much easier). Slain animals drop meat and similar items which can be used as Health Food or just sold.
- Yo-Kai Watch has bug catching. Similar to the fishing in the game, bugs caught can be traded for items at the Jungle Hunter, and be used to fulfill certain side quests.
- In The Oregon Trail, the player can shoot animals with his rifle to get additional food. Buffaloes can even be hunted to extinction.
- WolfQuest: Players play as a wolf living its life out in Yellowstone National Park, where naturally, they must hunt down prey such as elk and hare in order for them or their pups to survive. But in a twist, they may also attempt to acquire some easy food from a cattle ranch but not without the risk of getting shot by the farmer, teaching players some of the tough choices wildlife have to face in order to avoid starvation.
- In Patapon, where you play as the god of a tribe of Patapons, one of things you do, is help the Patapons on their hunts. The hunts will get you meat, wood and rocks, which you can use to create new Patapons or to play minigames that will get you other materials.
- In Dwarf Fortress, both the Fortress and the Adventurer modes allows the player to hunt wild animals to get their meat, bones, skin and ivory.
- In Assassin's Creed III Conner can hunt animals for pelts, receiving better quality ones using less destructive kills, like the hidden blades. This can bog down traveling, as you have to skin every animal you kill and it is very common to be attacked by a few wild animals running between different locales.
- Warframe has an interesting inversion of this. The Fortuna section of Venus gives the player the option to conserve animals by tranquilizing them with a special rifle and bringing them to Biz to protect them from the Corpus' rampant environmental destruction.
- Mount & Blade : Warband Seems to have had one planned at some point: The game allows feudal lords to host feasts at their towns or castles, and wandering poets tell you about the benefits of performing well in the tournaments held during town feasts, as well as on the hunts held in castle feasts. Tournaments are an essential part of a feast, giving the player something to do besides talk, as feasts themselves are rather plain. They also provide the means to impress a potential spouse and/or lord in town. Castle feasts however, are the exact same, rather plain feast, but sadly devoid of any entertainment, despite the poets' claims.
- In Little Dragons Cafe, you can find random meat around the island but the main way to get meat and poultry is by hunting. You can coax Zucchi into hitting rocks, killing them and turning them into Cartoon Meat. Your dragon can also hunt Zucchi after it ages into child form. When it comes to the flying Yaki birds, the protagonist either jumps up and "headbutts" them or can headbutt them while riding an adolescent or adult dragon.
- Red Dead Redemption series:
- Far Cry:
- Grand Theft Auto V, another Rockstar game, allows Trevor Philips to hunt in the Chiliad Mountain State Wilderness and earning money by fulfilling challenges about the manner of killing game or photographies to be sent to a friend.
- In Impressive Title, players can hunt down animals for Random Drop accessories to decorate their lion characters.
- Cereal Soup: Hunting provides meat so players can refill their stamina bar and help cure illness if the player is sick.