A picture or video of two or more characters who have been previously introduced as bitter enemies or rivals shows them chilling out together back when they were young and, apparently, best of buds with each other. Also included are other types of recordings, such as video and audio tapes.
A specific expression of We Used to Be Friends and, at times, of Evil Former Friend. Also related to Happier Home Movie, which is about a particular character's happy past rather than past relationships, and Photos Lie, which is an inverse of this, where the photo hides past enmity, rather than revealing past friendship. See also Family Portrait of Characterization.
- Chapter five of Kara no Kyoukai prominently features an old photograph◊ of Touko Aozaki (The Mentor to the good guys), Cornelius Alba, and Souren Araya (the Big Bad Duumvirate of the series) from back when they were working together at the Clock Tower. The three of them seem quite friendly on the photo for people who take every opportunity to murder each other in the story proper.
- A photo in The iDOLM@STER shows that the President of 765 Production used to be friends with their nemesis, President Kuroi of 361 Production, along with his reporter friend and Kotori.
- In Show By Rock!!, an old photo of Rom and Shuuzo when they were in a band together is tucked away inside one of their CD's. In the game, Selen finds it while researching old, obscure bands; in the anime, Yaiba finds it at BRR and shows it to the rest of Shingancrimsonz, who are understandably shocked.
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam has a variation: At the outset of the show, Domon is searching the world for a man and shows people a torn photograph, asking if they've ever seen him. A few episodes in we find out that the man is Domon's older brother Kyoji, who went nuts and stole the Devil Gundam, and the torn portion of the picture shows Kyoji giving a preteen Domon a piggyback ride. By the end of the series it turns out that Kyoji was Good All Along, restoring Domon's opinion of his brother, and we see the picture taped back together.
- In Racing Stripes' Rage Against the Mentor scene, Franny tells Stripes to "look closer" at a photograph hanging on the wall. Much to his surprise, Stripes recognizes its subjects as Tucker, and one of the movie's antagonists. Turns out, Tucker is far more experienced with racing than Stripes thought.
- In Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Mad-Eye Moody shows Harry a picture of the old Order of the Phoenix, that includes Harry's parents as well as their former friend who betrayed them to Voldemort and caused their death.
- In Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, Len aids his explanation of mirror twins with photo showing him and Adam, the original Kamen Rider Dragon Knight and yet to be named Master Eubulon in the background. The two of them used to be best friends before Adam's betrayal caused the downfall of the Ventaran Riders.
- At the end of the first series of A Series of Unfortunate Events (2017), an old photo reveals that Lemony Snicket and Count Olaf used to be friends. They are photographed smiling next to each other during their school days.
- In NUMB3RS, Colby is shown to keep several pictures in his desk from his days in the Army. Among them is a picture of him and Dwayne Carter before Carter turned traitor.
- In Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven, rival mob bosses Don Salieri and Don Morello are introduced as long-time bitter enemies, but towards the end of the game, Tommy finds an old photo◊ of them back in their youth, when they were best friends working as caporegimes for the then-Don Peppone. This photo is part of what makes Tommy realize that Being Evil Sucks.
- Promotional materials for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night contain an old photo of The Hero Miriam, her aloof ally Johannes, and the Big Bad Gebel chilling out as friends during happier times.
- In Command & Conquer: Renegade, one of the mission loading screens shows a photo of the Dead-6 Commando back when Sakura was still a part of it. She starts helping Havoc again after revealing she was a double-agent working for GDI the whole time.
- In Overwatch there are several photos of the title organization's members in their glory days, including several showing Jack Morrison (Soldier 76) and Gabriel Reyes (Reaper) standing next to each other.
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Lana and Gant used to be partners. Ironically the photo commemorating their achievements was taken only hours before the incident that started the entire mess with murder and blackmail.
- In Acquisitions Incorporated season 10, the party finds a photo of Jim and his "buddy" Roger back in magical school. Roger being the guy who murders Jim on his 40th birthday (though he gets better).
- One episode of Recess features TJ secretly attending Menlo's birthday party, to the confusion of the rest of the gang. As he leaves, Menlo gives TJ a picture of them both when they were younger. He and TJ explain that when they realised they were drifting apart, TJ promised to always attend Menlo's birthday, and holds himself to it.
- In the Donkey Kong Country episode, "Best of Enemies", Diddy Kong finds an old photo of King K. Rool and Cranky Kong when they were friends. Cranky explains to Donkey and Diddy that they used to do many exciting stunts together, such as tsunami wrestling, and skydiving without parachutes. Their friendship ended during the last event, walking across the wing of an airborne bi-plane, when Cranky accused K. Rool of cheating. Donkey and Diddy try to get Cranky and K. Rool to be friends again so that K. Rool will stop trying to steal the Crystal Coconut.
- In Adventures of the Gummi Bears, Tummi and Gusto find an ancient Gummi city where they are met with hostile sentient trees. Later on they find a mural that depicts the Great Gummies and the trees as allies.
- In Justice League: Gods and Monsters, the film shows a photo of Batman, the Big Bad and the latter's wife before the credits roll.