A flag design on swimwear, or similar garment, apparently to make the outfit even sexier, or at least very distinctive.
For some reason, the U.S. flag seems to be the most common, but it's not the only one.
It often shows up in advertising, particularly if being worn by a Hood Ornament Hottie.
Some people consider this disrespectful to these flags (and Brazil actually bans its flag on swimsuits note ), while other people don't seem to mind, as shown by the popularity of this kind of suit.
- Mito Ikumi often wears one in Food Wars!.
- Elizabeth Dawn from Gamble Fish wears one as her normal outfit.
- In the Midori Days manga, foreign exchange student Lucy wears American flag underwear.
- A brief scene in Super Gals has Ran and Mami fight over a U.S. flag patterned bikini. Unsurprisingly, the bikini snapped into half due to their tug-of-war with it, and their boyfriends had to pay for the damage.
- Monica Adenauer of the American team in Yakitate!! Japan wears an American flag-themed bikini while on the deserted island alongside in the finals.
- The music video for the song "S.t.a.r.S" from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann features Ms. Fanservice Yoko Littner in various costumes. Of the two foreign ones, one is a cowgirl in American flag bikini.
- Katy Keene had a cover where Katy, Gloria, and Lucki had a set that made a flag when standing together.
- Stargirl from Justice Society of America has a variant—while she does bare her midriff, her costume is closer to a tank top and bicycle shorts rather than a bikini.
- Wonder Woman's standard costume.
- Used in the advertising of American Pie 2 (but not the movie itself), with the four female leads and Jason Biggs in USA-flag swimsuits.
- Austin Powers and his Union Jack briefs.
- The two heroines of the film Dick cut up a flag to make bikini tops and hip huggers for themselves at the end. Both being The Ditz, one asks about whether or not it's illegal and the other tells her that it's okay, "as long as you put it back together later".
- DOA: Dead or Alive: Tina (Jaime Pressly) is introduced surfacing from the ocean and climbing onto a boat while wearing an American Flag Bikini.
- Seen in the Hustle episode "And This Little Piggy Had Money" as part of a fantasy the mark has about what his life will be like when he accepts the high-paying job in California that Mickey's crew is offering him.
- In an episode of My Name Is Earl, Joy is trying to show that she's a good person to gain jury sympathy, so with some help from Darnell, she does a sexy photoshoot of herself in one of these (and her flag-painted Brat) to send to soldiers overseas, claiming that she's doing so out of pure-hearted Patriotic Fervor.
- The Pretender has a scene, that combines◊ this with Going Fur a Swim in a fake ad. It's advertising a Get-Rich-Quick Scheme, and it has the host surrounded by a couple of girls wearing fur jackets over their flag bikinis.
- Lois Lane (Erica Durance) from Smallville has to wears one in a strip club to help Chloe in a investigation in "Exposed".
Chloe: All I can say is... God bless America!
- Angus Young of AC/DC will finish the process of stripping down to just his schoolboy shorts by dropping his shorts, revealing a pair of boxers designed like the flag on the country they're playing in.
- The original cover of the Black Crowes' album, Amorica, had a close-up of a woman's "bikini area" wearing one, but it got banned and replaced.
- An early version◊ of one of the pics of herself Catherine sends Vincent in Catherine had her wearing an American flag bikini, which was changed to vertical red-and-white stripes◊ in the final version.
- Tina Armstrong's starting swimsuit in Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball is one of these.
- Christie's Sapphire suit is a one-piece Union Flag variant of this trope. Her amethyst suit also has a union flag motif but it's predominantly purple for some reason.
- Fate/Grand Order: The Berserker version of Miyamoto Musashi wears an American flag bikini in her Second and Final Ascension outfits.
- Candi Suxx from Grand Theft Auto: Vice City wears nothing more than an American flag-themed bikini.
- In Rival Schools, the outfits of Tiffany Lords express a flag based motif.
- In the American Dad! episode An Incident at Owl Creek, President Barack Obama wore an American flag bikini brief swimsuit.