This index is for tropes about going over some limit of some kind.
Limit Break, however, is not a trope that goes here. It just sounds like an example, but it's a technique used when something reaches a certain value.
Gradated limits are those with levels / ranks / a system of measurement.
Non-Gradated Limit Tropes:
- Ability Depletion Penalty: Exceeding a limit of an ability or weapon in terms of gameplay.
- Beyond the Impossible: Breaking (what seemed to have been) the rules set by the story's internal logic.
- Breaking the Glass Ceiling
- Death by Gluttony: Eating too much food to survive.
- Explosive Overclocking: Increasing power to dangerous levels to boost speed or performance, causing a device to self-destruct (or close to it).
- Heroic RRoD: Physical breakdown from overexerting oneself.
- My Skull Runneth Over: The brain can run out of capacity, and this is bad.
- Sensory Overload: Overwhelming a particular sense.
- Villainous RRoD: When a villain has physical breakdown from overexerting oneself.
Gradated Limit Tropes:
- Broke the Rating Scale: The kinds that represent the final rating with a number, anyway.
- Faster-Than-Light Travel: The limit being broken, is the speed limit of the universe, the speed of light.
- Ludicrous Speed: Speeds that are impossible, such as being Faster-Than-Light Travel, but also having bizarre side effects.
- Off the Chart
- Over 100% Completion: Getting more than is numerically possible to complete. 100% is already completion, after all.
- Rank Inflation
- Readings Are Off the Scale
- Readings Blew Up the Scale
- Up to Eleven