So you're watching The Film of the Book in a series, content in the fact that the whole movie adapts the whole book like the other ones. But then there is a Cliffhanger ending. You read the source material to find that the book continues beyond that point. What happened?
Well, The Film of the Book was split in half.
It's becoming a common trend to see cinema or TV adaptions of a novel in a book series be split in two, and likely if said book is a Doorstopper, or the final book showcasing the Grand Finale. Executive Meddling can be a major reason this happens (particularly to popular book-to-movie series). Chances of Adaptation Expansion and/or Filler can also occur.
Film — Live Action
- Atlas Shrugged, a famous doorstopper, was split into three movies (released in 2011, 2012, and 2014).
- Breaking Dawn was split into two movies, which were released in 2011 and 2012.
- Divergent: Allegiant was split into two movies. Due to the underwhelming performance of the first part released in 2016, the second part, Ascendant was scrapped as a theatrical film, and plans to turn it into a television show to conclude the series is underway.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was split into two movies, released in 2010 and 2011.
- The 2017 movie adaptation of Stephen King's It was split into two movies, with the first one focusing on the main characters as kids, and the second one focusing on them as adults.
- The 1934 French adaptation for Les MisÚrables was divided into three parts which were released in three subsequent weeks, running a total of four-and-a-half hours.
- The 1973 adaptation of The Three Musketeers was split into two parts, with the second part, titled The Four Musketeers released the following year.
- Mockingjay was split into two movies, released in 2014 and 2015.
- Tolkien's Legendarium:
- In-Universe, the entire story of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings was a single volume, entitled There and Back Again: A Hobbit's Holiday, but the story is typically published in several volumes.
- The Lord of the Rings is an inversion: Tolkien's six novels are turned into three movies.
- The Hobbit was adapted into three movies: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.
- As War and Peace is a massive Doorstopper and can be a challenge for adaptations, the Soviet version takes the cake being a more faithful adaptation and was released into four parts in 1966 and 1967 with a total runtime of 7 hours and 11 minutes.
Live Action TV
- Runaways (2017) spreads the plot of the original miniseries over multiple seasons.
- A Song of Ice and Fire:
- Saturday Night Live parodied The Hobbit with a Parody Commercial for The Hobbit, which it says will be in nineteen 3-hour movies. The first film is already in the can, but others include The Hobbit 2: Journey to the Beginning of the Walk to Smaug's Lair, Hobbit 3: Shoot, I Just Realized I Forgot Something Back at the Shire. Mind if we Double Back? and Hobbit 4: Apple Maps: An Unexpected Detour. The final film will be released in 2028 - bring your grandkids!
- The 2017 video game adaptation of Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth was split into three parts.