In order to raise funds for whatever reason most people resort to what sells best: sex. This itself usually takes two forms, bikini car wash or, especially for older people, the sexy workplace calendar.
Sometimes it is implied that this is going to happen, but a PG calendar is made instead to subvert expectations. Common people to feature in these calendars are the Hot Librarian, Smoking Fireman, Good-Looking Privates, Hot Men at Work, and Naughty Nurse. When the models are truly nude or nearly nude, there will be a lot of Scenery Censors.
It's a costume strip show in calendar form, basically, produced to raise money for the business. Month themes are also common, and may replace the work theme the models have.
Whilst the idea is international, British works will likely only use it as an homage to the real life "Calendar Girls", and include the models standing around a piano with one sitting on the bench and/or sunflowers. The trope is not Always Female, and may actually be more commonly done with men.
Compare Hey, Let's Put on a Show.
- The film Calendar Girls was made about the true story of the so-called "calendar girls". They were members of the Women's Institute (groups providing opportunities for women and hosting fundraising) in Yorkshire who made the nude calendar for leukaemia research in The '90s. It was also adapted into a stage play.
- In The Drew Carey Show, such a calendar is mentioned in passing when Oswald agrees to have Lewis' workplace, DrugCo, give him breast implants. He says the pay is good, and he'd even get more if he poses for the DrugCo calendar. He does.
- In Burn Notice, Fiona once pitches herself to a demolitions foreman as a talent scout for a company that makes the calendars, saying she's doing one on "the men of demolition." Actually she's getting photos of his employees so Michael can ID the guy who tried to blow him up two episodes earlier.
Beckett: They always put the really hot ones in the summer months.
- Detective Esposito claims to have been in the NYPD calendar at one point.
- In "The Third Man" Lanie sets Beckett up with a firefighter friend who was June on the FDNY calendar.
- One episode of Saved by the Bell has Zack shoot one of these to raise money for the school using the girls' swim team...without their consent. He ends up getting into trouble for that. On a side note, the swim team only has eleven members, so December is Jessie's body with Mr. Belding's head superimposed.
- One episode of The IT Crowd sees Roy putting together a sexy calendar for charity (and to win a date with one of the calendar girls.) Over time, the calendar morphs from a regular sexy calendar to a calendar filled with old ladies, to a calendar filled with nerdy men.
- Futurama, "Neutopia:" In order to keep Planet Express afloat the Professor decides to put out a "Girls of Planet Express' calendar to raise money. The female employees aren't interested and are offended, but after an alien switches the Planet Express male and female sexes the now female (formerly male) Planet Express employees enthusiastically put together the calendar.
- The "original" calendar girls as mentioned. If not some of the first to use the idea, they were certainly the first to use natural poses while nude. This added to the novelty, of course, and the humour. The Women's Institute women (they were mostly middle-aged to older women) performed traditional WI activities, like cleaning, but naked.