She'll plant some seeds
The seeds will grow
The flowers bloom
Their beauty just the thing she needs..."
Maybe it's just a tree they've been tending to for years, a farm full of fruits and vegetables, or a flower they've just planted. Whatever the case, the Gardener is someone who grows and takes care of plants, and can come in two types:
The Gardener may be a farmer, gardener, someone doing it for a hobby, or someone simply caring enough about a certain plant in particular to want to keep it alive. May use magical/enchanted or highly advanced items for better results, although regular shovels or watering cans are more likely to be in use. Often what becomes of those who experience Call to Agriculture. A Caring Gardener cares about everything, from humans, to the grass beneath their feet.
- A Certain Magical Index: Harzak Lolas, the caretaker of Lindy Blueshake, also gardens as a hobby.
- Lucoa from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is a former agricultural goddess who does volunteer farmwork in her spare time (and she does it all by hand rather than using her magic). It draws a sharp contrast with her normal role as a Comedic Shotacon.
- Both Naruto and Gaara from Naruto tend to plants in their spare time. Naruto doesn't have any preference, but Gaara prefers Cacti.
- Senshi from Delicious in Dungeon grows vegetables in the backs of earth golems. He's also highly respectful of the titular dungeon and always tries his best not to harm it in any way, even when harvesting resources (e.g. never hunting too many members of one species at a time).
- In the second season of Princess Tutu, Duck meets a kindly girl named Freya who tends to the gardens on the academy grounds because she loves the beautiful way that the flowers bloom.
- Yuki Sohma from Fruits Basket has a private garden that he refers to as his "secret base". His willingness to reveal it to Tohru and letting her help him take care of it is a notable sign that he's opening up more to her.
- Storm of the X-men maintained a wide variety of plants in her attic room of Xavier's mansion and was genuinely remorseful and guilt-ridden to find them all dead after her long sojourn in space.
- The DC Comics character Poison Ivy from Batman, is a subversion, as a villainous gardener, hurting people, instead of helping them, usually caring only for plants and not for people. Over the years has gained several plant based powers, although her backstory is usually kept as her starting as a mundane gardener.
- From Star Trek:
- Boothby is the groundskeeper at Starfleet Academy, and takes great pride in his plants. In addition, he's also full of advice that has saved at least one Space Cadet from getting into trouble — including one Jean-Luc Picard.
- Garak often talks about how he was once the gardener at the Cardassian Embassy on Romulus, where it just so happened that one of the plants he tended to was very poisonous. It also just so happened that a Romulan official was poisoned while Garak was stationed there. Funny, that...
- Yandere Simulator: Uekiya Engeika, who's the leader of the Gardening Club, and gardens when she doesn't anyone to look after. She's known as 'Everyone's Big Sister'
- A Very Long Rope to the Top of the Sky: Rose was liked gardening before her imprisonment, and cared about her fellow prisoner, Racoon, as well as the daughter of the Queen who had her imprisoned.