An extremely old Japanese artistic convention is giving men bushy eyebrows. The manly oyaji usually has them, and it makes his expressions more imposing and tougher. A lot of older shonen manga use this style to great effect. Unless it's specifically part of the art style, Big Ol' Eyebrows are a common Art Shift gag when a character is being overdramatic.
Women tend to get very thin eyebrows. Thicker eyebrows are usually just a convention to make their faces more noticeable or make their facial expressions funnier. But in a few anime, women have thicker eyebrows which resemble long commas. It's the case of Momoko from Ojamajo Doremi and Honoka, Saki and Kurumi from the Pretty Cure franchise.
- Anime & Manga
- Comic Books
- Live-Action TV
- Video Games
- Web Original
- Western Animation
- Real Life
- Gandalf in The Hobbit is described as having gigantic eyebrows.
'Good morning' said Bilbo, and he meant it. [...] But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat.
- The Rankin/Bass animated versions of The Hobbit and The Return of the King took this maybe too literally, and gave Gandalf a titanic, impossibly bushy unibrow that, along with his similarly oversized beard, completely frames his (also huge) nose and eyes. His freaky appearance is used to great effect when he introduces himself with an extreme closeup shot.
- Ogier in The Wheel of Time are described to all have very large eyebrows that are not only very thick, but also hang down like an extra set of moustaches. They're an important part of Ogier expressions, and apparently regarded as erogenous zones.
- In P. G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster stories, nerve specialist Rodrick Glossop is described as being bald with enormous eyebrows.
- In the Rainbow Magic series, King Oberon has these.
- Jonathan Harker in Dracula notes that the Count's eyebrows are
"very massive, almost meeting over the nose, and with bushy hair that seemed to curl in its own profusion."
- In The Platinum Key, Aly describes Merlin the Younger as having very thick eyebrows.
- The Duke of Taunton, in the Village Tales novels, has the bushy, Gandalfian version: his oldest and dearest enemy the Archdeacon maintains that the Duke's voice barges into a room first, followed by his eyebrows, and then by the Duke himself, although that's mere snarky exaggeration. The Rector's Very Manly Eyebrows are trim and neat, but described as thick and "impasto" all the same.
- In The Stormlight Archive, the people of Thaylenah have distinctive long eyebrows that they keep tucked behind their ears. Some of the setting's diversity of human appearance is due to long-ago interbreeding with various Rubber-Forehead Aliens, but it's unknown whether this applies to the Thaylens.
- A lot of the male characters found in Gerry Anderson's Supermarionation shows have pretty large eyebrows, but none win better than Mike Mercury of Supercar, seriously◊!
- Ventriloquist Jeff Dunham has a puppet, Achmed the Dead Terrorist, who has gigantic eyebrows despite being a skeleton. They're used to convey his emotions, since he has no other facial features to do so with — and they work surprisingly well.
- The Muppets
- Sam the American Eagle has an impressive unibrow, giving the impression of a perpetually frowning face.
- The Swedish Chef appears to have nothing but big ol' eyebrows that can challenge his mustache for facial hair supremacy.
- In the Sesame Street, Bert has a black monobrow, enabling him to look quite annoyed whenever he is fed up with Ernie's shenanigans.
- Danny from Bravest Warriors has an epic pair of big eyebrows. More noticeable, cause he's the the only team member who even has eyebrows in the first place.
- Our Trope Namer comes from Homestar Runner, which plays with this one a segment in the SBEmail "Haircut", where Strong Bad remarks on specifically this kind of eyebrow, used to describe someone "who is not so concerned with attracting ladies."
Strong Bad: "There we go. One hundred and ten percent lady-proof."
- The elderly garden shop owner from Monsterbox has some noticably sizeable eyebrows.