Admiration: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.
Admiration of varying kinds can make several important tropes, showing aspects of our characters. It can range from Bob feeling respect for Alice, to feeling deep camaraderie with her, to outright worshiping her.
But admiration is not always a good thing. Bad things can result, depending on the circumstances and who the giver(s) and receiver(s) are.
See also Compliment Tropes, Ego Tropes, Fandom, Love Tropes, and These Tropes Love to Brag.
Contrast Insult Tropes, Index of Shame, Annoyance Tropes, Index of Hated Characters.
- 100% Heroism Rating (Everyone loves the hero)
- Abhorrent Admirer (A character who serves as an unattractive and unrequited love interest to another character)
- Arson, Murder, and Admiration (One villain starts listing the flaws of the other villain, then complimenting their merits)
- Baddie Flattery (The bad guy compliments the hero during a fight)
- Big Brother Worship (A younger sibling who really, really admires their older brother or sister)
- Defeat Means Respect (A villain gains respect for the hero after they defeat them)
- Easily Impressed ( A character who is impressed by anything, no matter how unimpressive it really is)
- Famed in Story (A hero who is admired throughout the world)
- Following in Their Rescuer's Footsteps: (Someone follows the same career path as the person who saved them)
- Hero-Worshipper (The hero has a fan who can't stop showering them with praise)
- The Hero's Idol (Someone who inspires the hero and their pursuits; the target of a Hero-Worshipper)
- The Idol's Blessing: A gift from someone much admited.
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!" (The hero has their own hero they admire)
- Last-Second Term of Respect.
- Like a God to Me (A character does something so admirable that they are viewed as a god)
- Loved by All (A person beloved by everyone)
- Respected by the Respected (A character is implied to have done something impressive because characters who are respected by others admire them)
- Smile of Approval (A character smiles at another character they initially disliked as a sign of admiration or respect)
- So Proud of You (Everyone shows admiration for the hero's accomplishments)
- Starstruck Speechless (Someone gets Emotionally Tongue-Tied when trying to speak to someone they admire)
- Villain Respect (Villain respects a protagonist for a positive trait)
- Universally Beloved Leader (A ruler beloved by everyone)
- Worthy Opponent (Admiration for a rival)
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame (The villain admires something the hero did, but the hero is ashamed about it.)