Whenever a character says something and ends up unintentionally pulling off a rhyme, only to point that out afterwards, this trope is invoked. Often Lampshaded with the Stock Phrase "[I'm/You're] a poet and don't know it!"
- In Cars 2, Mater pulls off one when posing as a waiter in Hot Springs' restaurant. Provides the page quote.
- In Eight Crazy Nights, Whitey tells Davey about the many good things about the mall, making up many rhymes in his speech. Lampshaded when Davey asks, "Did you plan that or did you rhyme that many times by accident?" Whitey agrees that it was weird, confirming that it was an accident.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas! has the Grinch do this a couple of times (to fit the original rhymes by Dr. Seuss) and then get annoyed at himself because he hates rhyming.
- In The Muppets' Wizard of Oz, Pepe says "rats in hats".
Pepe: Hey, that rhymes. I'm a poet and didn't realise I had such a capability.
- In 1990s BBC crime comedy The Detectives, there's this:
Officer: Why has everyone gone gooey over Briggs and Louis?
Louis: That rhymed and you didn't mean it to!
- In the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Behind the Lines" Quark has to practically drink Damar under the table to get secrets out of him. When he meets up with his friends to tell them, he's drunk enough to make lame jokes.
Quark: I just shared a bottle of kanar with Damar. [giggles and collapses onto a seat] That rhymes! [more giggling]
- The Two Ronnies:
Ronnie Barker: The story I'm about to tell concerns the Bogle of Bog Fell. Don't worry, it's not all going to be in rhyme, that was by accident.
- In the Apprentice Adept series, Stile discovers that he has magical abilities in Phaze after realizing that he keeps speaking in rhymes, which allows him to cast spells.
- Occurs in Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series when the gang encounter the Paradox Brothers.
Yami: Joey it's time for our surprise attack!
Joey: No worries, Yug', I got ya back.
Yami: Hang on a second, are we rhyming too?
Joey: Don't ask me, I ain't got a clue.
Yami: This is like something out of Dr. Seuss!
Tea: I can't stop staring at Yugi's caboose!
Bakura: Everyone seems to have gone all rhymey!
Tristan: Shut the hell up, you stupid limey!
- In My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, "A Health of Information", Fluttershy finds herself accidentally rhyming after hanging out with Zecora, who almost always Rhymes on a Dime.
Fluttershy: Gee, I don't know. It's a pretty big pack. So maybe enough to fill up this sack? [gasps, laughs] Oh, my! You're rubbing off on me, Zecora!
- In Spanish-speaking countries, mostly from Latin America, there's a common phrase when someone makes accidental rhymes: "hago un verso sin mayor esfuerzo" (lit. "I make a rhyme without much effort")