The Underground is a Machinima set in Portal 2. In the undergrounds of Aperture Science Laboratories, where defective products are thrown, an Interview Sphere creates a show for defective personality cores. Hilarity Ensues.
The Underground contains examples of these tropes:
- Body Horror: The Friendship Cores are two cores that have been smashed together, making them this by Personality Core standards. Interview Core is very clearly terrified.
- The defective turrets Anthony and the Band also qualify.
- Black Comedy: Episode 4.
- Butt-Monkey: Anthony. Hoo boy.
- Call-Back: The Interview Sphere is sifter number 7.
- Demoted to Extra: Anthony.
- The Eeyore: Anthony.
- Insufferable Genius: The Ego Sphere.
- Logic Bomb: The Protocol Sphere considers himself to be perfect. According to his protocols, being thrown in the incenerator means you are defective.
- Many Spirits Inside of One: The Interview Sphere can take on several personalities, one of which is the Therapeutic Voice Processor.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: The Protocol Sphere.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: The Paranoid Sphere.
- Punny Name: The Fritz Brothers Band is made of defective turrets.
- Rimshot: Courtesy of Anthony and the Fritz Brothers Band whenever the Interview Sphere makes a joke. Subverted at one point in Episode 2, when Anthony can't make the cymbal sound due to one of his guns falling off.
- Shout-Out: The Elite Sphere has lots of hats.
- The Shrink: Interview Sphere's Therapeutic Voice Processor guides the Friendship Cores through couples therapy.
- Talk Show: A spoof of one.