Talking Skullz is a Machinima and Let's Play YouTube group of British gamers. While not much has been shown so far, there is plenty that has been planned and is in development. A variety of material has been made, ranging from their main show Combat Devolved and various Let's Plays to vid/pod-casts on a particular Video-Game based subject or recent events.
Despite the current obscurity of the group, the Talking Skullz shows are incredibly Troperiffic, and its members have decided to start up a trope page for the purpose of continuing to add on further tropes as subsequent episodes are released.
As you could probably guess, this is under construction - at the moment all focus is on developing Combat Devolved instead.
The members of Talking Skullz (and their loosely-defined roles) are as follows:
- Jake Carruthers: "Social Media Publicist" (The JAKE's)
- Ross Clark: "TV Tropes Pimp #2" (Spartan 3)
- Callum Henderson: "Scenario Adviser" "Chief Spreadsheet maker", "TV Tropes Pimp #1" (Pilot)
- Sam Horton: "Co-founder" "Head Writer" "Primary Machinimator" "Compiler and Editor" (Sniper)
- Tom Howick: "Consulting Web Assistant" (Nobody... yet)
- Tom "Krollie" Laughton: "Assistant Machinimator" "Idiot" "Punching Bag" (Spartan 2, other miscellaneous)
- Rob(ert) Micklewright: "Co-founder" "The Capturer" (Thompson, Spartan 1)
- Reece Mills: (probably) (One Alien)
- Matt Norriss: "Composer" (Heavy)
- Tommy Phillips: "Assistant Writer" "Lyricist" (Cadaver)
- James Wenban: "Legacy Assurance Strategist" (Scout)
- Nathan Wenban: "Company Mascot" "Scapegoat" (Rookie)
Let's Plays include:
- Castle Crashers (Sam, Rob, Krollie)
- Halo3 (Sam, Krollie)
- Halo4 (Sam, Rob, Callum, Nathan)
- Scott Pilgrim Versus The World (Sam, Rob, Callum)
- Sonic Adventure 2 (Also known as "the only one that will actually be finished entirely") (Sam, Rob, Callum, Krollie, Tom, Tommy)
- The Walking Dead (Rob)
- Best BGM (Sam, Callum, Krollie, Tommy)
- Doctor Who, Pokémon X and Y and Machinima (Sam, Krollie, Matt)
- The Hobbit, Doctor Who 50th AS "The Day of the Doctor" and Atlantis (Sam, Rob, Callum, Krollie)
Tropes associated with Talking Skullz in general:
- Ascended Fanboy: On the same day as becoming a member of the group, Ross was designated as the "TV Tropes Pimp"... We don't get it either.
- Big "SHUT UP!": Callum is inevitably on the receiving end of this, many times per video, often when Tommy is present.
- Epic Fail: A large amount of the Castle Crashers Let's Play had been done... and then Krollie accidentally loses all of the files.
- A lot of moments during the Sonic Adventure 2 Let's Play can be described as this, particularly when a person (i.e. Krollie) dies at the same part 3 times in quick succession.
- No Indoor Voice: Put three or more of these guys in a room together and a shouting contest ensues.
- Non-Indicative Name: The Vidcasts can become this. A topic is presented, the present members try to talk about it for 5 minutes... and then it all deteriorates into madness, with said members usually talking about everything EXCEPT the titled topic.
- Running Gag:
- One Steve Limit: Both Played Straight and Averted. There are three "Thomas"'s, but each goes by a different version: Tom, Tommy and Krollie.
- Shout-Out: To many different things, as is the nature of the channel while doing stuff. Especially prominent in any Let's Play, where any time It Makes Sense in Context occurs, a reference will happen.
- A load of Shout Outs are made to things that happened that won't even make sense to standard viewers - that's just how it rolls.
- Callum in particular likes to shoehorn random stuff into things, especially when an anthropomorphic blue rodent with Super Speed is involved.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: The title.
Talking Skullz' most comprehensive Let's Play thus far is their full playthrough of Sonic Adventure 2, currently in progress. Sam, Callum, Krollie, Rob, Tom and Tommy join forces and take it in turns to fail their way through the various missions and bosses, with much shouting and many references along the way.
View the playlist here.
Tropes included in the Sonic Adventure 2 Let's Play:
- Breather Episode: Episode 9.5 of the Sonic Adventure 2 Let's Play doesn't feature any levels at all, just Tommy traumatizing the Chao.
- Epic Fail: If Rob picks up the controller, this will happen. If Tom picks up the controller, this will happen. If Krollie picks up the controller, THIS WILL HAPPEN.
- Five-Man Band:
- The Leader: Sam, due to having all the recording equipment/ in charge of it all.
- The Lancer: Callum, due to being the only other person with actual experience/knowledge of Sonic and generally helping the LP along.
- The Big Guy: Tom
- The Smart Guy: Rob
- The Chick: Krollie
- Non-Action Guy: Tommy
- Sixth Ranger: Matt
- 11th-Hour Ranger: Ross...maybe?
- Running Gag: Krollie falling into bottomless pits, Rob being hit by falling blocks.
- Expect the line "What have you done to Sonic? I'll never forgive you for this!" to appear every other episode.
- Rob's obsession with speed-running.
- Tommy's obsession with Rouge.