Soldiers of Misfortune is a Day Of Defeat: Source and Garry's Mod Machinima made by the Janus Syndicate about a World War II Sgt. Sam Richmond, who, through various circumstances, ended up with a truck full of diamonds, before eventually being captured by a German Officer, as the film begins, he is being interrogated, and has his left ear cut off. He won't talk because he assumes that they'll let him live just because he knows where the diamonds are. He's wrong, and is killed by a firing squad for his troubles.
Tropes featured include:
- Homage: To the films of Quentin Tarantino.
- Laser-Guided Karma: After the Posthumous Narration is over, the German Officer has found the diamonds... But then, it falls into a chasm in the cave it was hidden in.
- No Name Given: The German Officer is never given a name, the opening just calls him "German Officer".
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: The German Officer's accent frequently disappears, mostly in scenes where he's yelling in many, many curses.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Richmond assumes he's in a WWII spy thriller, so if he doesn't talk, the Germans will spare him. Unfortunately for him, he's in a Black Comedy.