The series was made using Trainz and released in the summer of 2009. The Remake was released in 2019.
Sodor: Dark Times provides examples of:
- Adaptational Villainy: While 98462/ Alfred was said to have been sent away for being rude and nasty, here, he's more of a a psychopath who kills other engines.
- Animation Bump: The 2019 remake upgrades to TRAINZ 2019, resulting in much more photorealistic imagery than the original. Unfortunately not all of the necessary models and elements were available for the new software in time for the tenth anniversary, so the remake has a few special effect failures such as Alfred having no face, Edward still being a 2012 model and ground textures missing.
- Ax-Crazy: Alfred.
- Breakout Character: Alfred became a very popular to use in Trainz-based Thomas videos after this series was created.
- Darker and Edgier This is far more dark then the show it was based on, as it includes a darker and more depressing tone, little if no humor, and characters being outright Killed Off for Real.
- Character Death: Henry dies in the first episode, Thomas, Percy, Edward and James all die in the second episode, Gordon, 87546 and Alfred all die in the third episode.
- Green and Mean: Alfred.
- It's All My Fault: Both Gordon and The Fat Controller blame themselves for the destruction of Knapford in addition to the deaths of Thomas, Edward, Percy and James, to the point where the latter resigns as controller.
- Killed Off for Real: In that order, Henry, Thomas, Edward, James, Percy, 87546, Gordon, and Alfred.
- Mad Bomber: Alfred.
- No Sympathy: In the first episode, when Henry tells James that he's feeling sick and asks him to take his trucks for him, he tells Henry no and tells him to do his own work.
- Nightmare Sequence: Gordon has one in the 2nd episode implying that Alfred had something to do with Henry's death. It all turns out to be true.