Mass Defect is a 30-minute Garry's Mod Short Film by the late kitty0706, who also made Moments With Heavy and Elliot Goes To School.
It stars Commander John Shepard as he and his Normandy crew hijack what appears to be the Enterprise, kill everyone inside, build onto it, and claim it as his own. Hilarity Ensues for an entire week.
Note that everything below makes sense in whatever context there is.
This video demonstrates the following tropes:
- Abnormal Ammo: Gordon Freeman uses... watermelons.
- Aborted Arc: Invoked as Elliot decides Thursday and its Whole Plot Reference to Amnesia: The Dark Descent has gone on for too fucking long and moves onto Friday without fanfare.
- Affably Evil: EDI.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Oh god, EDI. It's not necessarily striving to Take Over the World, but it is more-or-less the video's semi-antagonist, due to its abilities of annoying the hell out of people.
- Alien Blood: The furries have white blood... for some reason.
- Ate His Gun: The cashier Heavy. Or at least, how Garrus imagines him.
- Atomic F-Bomb: After Shepard dies in Jet Set Radio.
- Bait-and-Switch: After Shepard kills his doppelganger, it says "THE END"..."OF SATURDAY".
- Bloody Hilarious: When Shepard's lazily lying on the couch on Saturday, two sawblades come from the ceiling and start "shaving" him. We see a lot of blood and Shepard's face falling to the floor.
You dropped your face! I'll get ya a new one!
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The Stinger.
Elliot 2: So, I'll expect [the video] uploaded by, uh...next week?
Elliot: Actually, it's uploaded already. People are kinda watching it, like, right as we're speaking. They can see us. Like, wave to the camera. Look. HI! (waves to camera)
- Butt-Monkey: Shepard and Garrus are this to EDI.
- Jacob is this to the rest of the crew. Even his doppelganger gets used as a Human Shield by Fem!Shep.
- Camera Abuse: While celebrating their trip to the Citadel, the Normandy crew accidentally shoot the cameraman, Ellis.
Ellis: Y'all know you shot me, right?
- Catchphrase: Bill's brother has "COCK EATER!"
- The Chew Toy: Garrus. He gets molested by EDI, Joker farts on his pillow and gives him pinkeye, and he gets shot trying to pay for milk for Shepard.
- Cluster F-Bomb:
Bill's brother: Fuck you, motherfucker! Come back here so I can fucking kill your fucking ass!
- Dead-Hand Shot: At the start of the video, a Heavy riding a bike through space crashes into an astronaut, and the astronaut's severed hand floats by as the title appears.
- Apparently it was made to mirror the cover of Dead Space.
- Deadpan Snarker: EDI.
- Death Is Cheap: Almost everybody dies and then comes back to life. Comes back in the end for a Tear Jerker wallop when Shepard is Killed Off for Real.
- Disney Acid Sequence: Party Time.
- Drives Like Crazy: The Heavy riding a bike through space, crashing into an astronaut, Joker driving the spaceship, and Fido.
- Explosive Decompression: Parodied. As for Bill's brother, he simply just suddenly die before leaving nothing but a fart cloud. This is later averted in some scenes including Shepard's death, however.
- Famous Last Words: "For the greater good" - Bill's brothernote
- Finger Gun: Shepard employs these when dealing with his doppelganger.
- Gatling Good: Jacob uses a helicopter operated by two Heavys with this type of gun to take out a horde of furfags.
- Guns Akimbo: How Shepard kills Bill, and his finger pistols against the doppelgangers.
- Guns Are Worthless: When Shepard fires at Bill, his shots do virtually nothing. Then he puts in a thermal clip.
- Also, after Shepard's clone fires several shots at him with plasma rifles and with him firing his finger pistols at her as they both miss each other completely, they drop their guns and resort to a fist fight.
- The Hero Dies
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Shepard does not care a bit about what happens to anyone else, even his teammates. He ignores Jacob's calls for help when the furries are attacking, and doesn't even notice when Liara gets thrown out the airlock.
- Human Shield: Shepard's doppelganger uses a clone of Jacob as one. Unsurprisingly, he is killed in a matter of seconds.
- Jive Turkey: Jacob.
- Killed Off for Real: Shepard at the end.
- It's safe to assume that Liara, Garrus, and Jacob are this as well, since they're dead the last time we see them.
- Large Ham: Shepard has his moments.
- Left Hanging: Mass Defect ends with an unsubtle Sequel Hook in the form of Joker dropping a box of Shepard's remains on Wheatley's desk. Because of Colin's passing in 2015, the odds of a follow-up are extremely low.
- Major Injury Underreaction: When an Amnesia grunt twists Shepard's head 180 degrees, he simply says "Ow."
- Mundane Made Awesome: Garrus thinks that buying milk is going to be this, due to the cashier being a Heavy. His fears turn out to be unfounded, however.
- Musical Episode: Sunday (at least for a bit).
- Neck Snap: Shepard suffers this fate by a grunt. He gets better.
- Nerd Glasses: Shepard wears a pair during Sunday.
- No-Sell: An attack by Winnie-the-Pooh doesn't even faze Jacob.
Jacob: Think I even feel that weak-ass shit?
- Palette Swap: Bill's brother is the exact same as him but he wears a red shirt.
- Primal Scene: In one scene, Shepard catches Liara cheating on him with Garrus.
- Red Shirt: Bill's brother. Fittingly, he actually does wear a red shirt.
- Running Gag: When Shepard uses EDI, it will often be interrupted by a laughing Nathan Drake.
- Self-Deprecation: The Stinger, in which "Elliot 2" complains about how long the video was and how long it took to finish it.
- Shout-Out: Geez, where to begin?
- Stuff Blowing Up
- Sudden Downer Ending: In which Shepard dies. What makes it even worse is that Joker's desperate cry "COMMANDER!" can be heard echoing as his corpse floats through space.
- Tempting Fate: When everyone except for a Scout is gunned down by a truck that Shepard is driving, he says "Hehe", of course prompting the truck to come back and finish him off.
- Toilet Humor: When Shepard's having a hard time on the porcelain throne (he's screaming). Later, we actually see that he FELL ASLEEP on the toilet.
- They Killed Kenny Again: See Death Is Cheap.
- Thrown Out the Airlock: Bill's brother's first death.
- Verbal Business Card: EDI introduces itself using one.
- Wacky Sound Effect: Elliot's sound design is rife with these, as per his Signature Style.