The Team Fortress 2 animation Heavy Is Dead is a "murder mystery" parody by Antoine Delak, the same guy who made the Gorgeous Freeman series. The story is obviously about an unlucky RED Heavy, who tragically perished at the hands of a conniving BLU Engineer, who later acts innocent as Heavy's comrades dig into the mystery of his demise.
Tropes are dead! TROPES ARE DEAD!? YES! THEY DIED!!!
- Absentee Actor: Pyro, who only shows up in the background.
- Accidental Hero: Demoman - a Team Killer and a Prankster who jokingly took the blame for Heavy's murder - ends up inadvertently saving the day by revealing who the actual murderer is.
- Achievements in Ignorance: How did Heavy survive being shot in the head? By being stupid enough to literally forget that he's dead.
- Actor Allusion: At one point Sniper says "Well, Now What?" - a line that belongs to Half-Life 2 male citizens who share a voice actor with Sniper.
- Adaptational Intelligence: Soldier is normally portrayed as a bloodthirsty, jingoistic cloudcuckoolander. Here, however, he's one of the few people to actually do something remotely productive: he uncovers what he believes to be the murder weapon. Of course, the Engineer had actually shot the Heavy with a different pistol that had a large telescope attached to it, but, still, points for effort.
- Badass Boast: So badass that everyone present applauds. Even the murderer himself!Spy: So, did you see the murderer?
Sniper and Engineer: No, sorry mate.
Spy: I will find him, I will capture him, and no one will ever die again!
Sniper: [applauding] Ah, well, that's nice.
Engineer: [applauding] I am damn proud right now.
- Big Bad: BLU Engineer, Heavy's devious murderer.
- Bullying the Disabled: The Engineer killed the Heavy because of his weight, unattractiveness, and unintelligence, something that he's more than happy to gloat about after his cover is blown.
- The Cameo: The head-swapped cast of Crash Bandicoot appears in the background at one point (with Tiny Tiger appearing separately from the others earlier.)
- Captain Obvious: It may be hard to believe, but Heavy is actually DEAD.Medic: In my medical opinion, THAT HEAVY IS DEAD!
Sniper: Doc? What happened?
Medic: My professional opinion? The Heavy was killed!
- Captain Obvious Reveal: A deliberate one: the Engineer is shown killing the Heavy at the start, and is the only character wearing BLU colors in a RED team. Nobody figures out it's him until he accidentally (and then deliberately) confesses.
- Character Death: Believe it or not, the Heavy is dead. The Engineer shoots him with a telescope. Subverted in that Heavy keeps getting revived, but has to act dead because everyone insists he's dead. Played straight with the rest of the team, who are picked off one by one in other ways.
- Deadly Prank: Demoman, in an attempt to trick his team into thinking he killed Heavy, fatally shoots Sniper as a demonstration. He then reveals to his team that his confession was a joke. They buy it.
- Death as Comedy: Quite a lot of mileage is gotten out of the characters dying, primarily from Heavy constantly forgetting he's dead, and due to how abrupt and slapstick the others' deaths are.
- Death Is Cheap: The Heavy is killed at the beginning, but doesn't do a very good job of staying dead.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Why does Engie kill Heavy? Because he's fat, ugly, and dumb.
- Disappointed by the Motive: In contrast to Heavy's heartbreak over the revelation, the Spy looks back and forth between the victim and perpetrator in exasperation and confusion when the Engineer confesses that he killed the Heavy because he was fat, ugly, and dumb.
- Doomed Protagonist: The titular Heavy, who dies after 2 seconds of screentime. Inverted at the end, when he's literally the only surviving character.
- Driven to Suicide: The RED Spy, who was apparently driven past his Despair Event Horizon due to everyone being idiots.
- Drowning My Sorrows: What Engineer appears to be doing right before Heavy kills him back, suddenly being at a bar with a bunch of empty drinks.
- Dwindling Party: RED Team loses almost all of its members throughout the course of the video.
- Easily Forgiven: Demoman shoots and kills Sniper while confessing about killing the Heavy? Everyone is stunned in shock. Him clarifying that it was a joke? They all jointly laugh.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Played with. Engineer, who murdered Heavy, is horrified when the Demoman shoots his teammate Sniper. But when Demoman passes it off as a joke, Engie joins the others in laughing at the "joke." But it's kind of Hypocritical Humor for Engie to be so horrified by Demoman's lame excuse for murder, considering that Engie didn't have a great reason for killing Heavy either.
- Evil Laugh: Engineer does a sinister chuckle after killing Heavy.
- Famous Last Words:Heavy: Yadadada... It is good day to be not dead!
Soldier: Yes! HE DIED!
Medic: Scout, I will heal you!
Sniper: The Heavy is dead?!
Demoman: Oh, I'm dead...
Engineer: AH, DAMMIT HEAVY, FUCK OFF! You're dead.
Spy: Well, that was idiotic. Off to hang myself! Watch and lear... (crack)
- Forgetful Jones: Everyone. Every time the Heavy's death is brought up, the main cast shouts "The Heavy is dead?!" Even the Spy, the perpetrator, and Heavy himself keep forgetting that the Heavy died.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: TONS. Special mentions include:
- The book the Heavy is reading right after Engineer shoots him is labled "HOW 2 DIE".
- A Youtube monetization icon appearing over Sniper's crotch when he does a pelvic thrust, in reference to Youtube often demonetizing videos containing offensive content.
- The game show answers turning into "Haha shid pants", "Poop", and "The Jews faked the moon landing".
- When Spy requests that everybody get back to the point, he holds up a map sign that says "To the point". After the shot cuts away to the Heavy and back, just before Spy throws the sign away, it now says "To the porn".
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Scout. His mere appearance puts the entire RED Team into a Stunned Silence, and Spy, exasperated with Scout's antics, orders him to go home.
- Funny Background Event: There is always something happening in the background of every shot or scene, ranging from signs placed in funny ways to references to just plain abstract scenes.
- Get Out!: When the Scout shows up, the Spy orders him to go home. The Scout reluctantly agrees and enters his mothers car... which crashes into a wall.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: There are a few abrupt closeups of the Demoman's mouth when he's drinking or belching.
- Hope Spot: The Medic attempts to revive the Heavy by kissing him on the nose. A ray of light appears, and Heavy rises while laughting, starts to announce that he's alive... and inexplicably bursts into Ludicrous Gibs.
- "How Did You Know?" "I Didn't.": Word for word when the Demoman accuses the Engineer of being the murderer.
- Hypocritical Humor: The Spy gives an exasperated "We know!" when Soldier informs him that the Heavy is dead. Less then a minute later, the Soldier tells the RED team that a pistol was used to kill the Heavy, the Spy shouts "The Heavy is dead?!" in a genuinely shocked voice.
- Idiot Hero: The Heavy, who can't remember the fact that he died, even when he's poking his own corpse.
- I Was Just Joking: Demoman's accusation was apparently supposed to be a joke.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Engineer's "The Reason You Suck" Speech towards the Heavy was both spiteful and full of bigotry, but he's absolutely right about the Heavy being dumb.
- "Just Joking" Justification: Demoman shoots Sniper, and then claims it was just a joke. They buy it.
- Karma Houdini: Subverted with Demoman. After tricking his team into thinking that the Sniper's death was a joke, it looks like he'll get away scot-free, but he dies of alcohol poisoning shortly after accidently revealing the true perpetrator.
- Karmic Death: Heavy pulls a lethal No, You on Engineer, who "killed" him at the start.
- Killed Off for Real: The Heavy. Except not really.
- By the end of the video, everyone but The Heavy.
- Kiss of Life: The Medic attempts to revive the Heavy by kissing him on the nose. It only revives him for a few seconds before the Heavy inexplicably bursts into Ludicrous Gibs.
- Large Ham: Everyone has their moments, but special mention goes to The Medic, who screams almost all of his lines at the top of his lungs and is animated very eccentrically.
- Laughing Mad: Engineer laughs out loud during his Villainous Breakdown just before confessing to the murder.
- Letting the Air Out of the Band: How the short ends, just to drive home how stupid the whole thing was.
- Ludicrous Gibs: Medic's attempt to revive the Heavy results in the latter unceremoniously exploding. He's shown to be fine less than a minute later, though.
- Motor Mouth: Scout, after being told to go home."Frickingunbelieveablenoseriouslyyouallsuck..."
- Never Trust a Title: By the end of the short, Heavy is the only character who isn't dead.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: The Medic realizes that Scout and his mother crashed their car and goes over to try and heal them. The car explodes just as the Medic gets there, killing him.
- Not Now, We're Too Busy Crying over You: Heavy almost reveals that the Engineer shot him until the Spy and the Engineer shush him because he's supposed to be dead.
- Not Quite Dead: Heavy is quite an active character despite being, y'know, dead.Heavy, poking his own corpse: I think Heavy is dead.
- Not So Above It All:
- Initially played straight and justified. Although the BLU Engineer is sneaky enough to kill the Heavy, he still goes along with the insane behavior of the rest of the group because he basically has to in order to avoid being caught. Subverted at the end when he gets fed up with the others' behavior and has a Villainous Breakdown.
- Despite the Spy's attempts to be an Only Sane Man, he joins in with his team's antics when they shout "The Heavy is dead?!" and laughs at Demoman's 'joke'.
- Obviously Evil: BLU Engineer, the murderer... well, he's BLU and the rest of the team is RED, so...
- Off-Model: Soldier, when he is sniffing the ground looking for clues.
- Only Sane Man: Zig-zagged with Spy. While Spy is much more mature than his allies (not that that's saying much) and is dead-serious about finding out who killed Heavy, he genuinely gets caught off guard when being informed that the Heavy is dead, and laughs at Demoman's 'joke'.
- Out-of-Character Moment: It is very unusual of Medic to actually care about the well-being of his patients, let alone throw himself in the burning car to save someone.
- Played for Laughs: Everyone's deaths (especially the RED Spy's suicide) are humorous and slapstick in their execution.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: The Engineer is revealed to be one when he reveals that he killed the Heavy because of his weight, unattractiveness, and unintelligence.
- Psychopathic Manchild: The Engineer, despite his seemingly normal exterior, is revealed to be one when he goes Laughing Mad before confessing to the Heavy's death, and throws insults that a school bully would make when his motive is questioned.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy: This short traffics in Mood Whiplash, blink-and-you'll-miss-it background events, and a heavy dose of absurd repetition.
- Reaction Shot: When the Soldier confirms that the Heavy died, the Spy, Engineer, and Sniper all react in a shocked fashion. They are then immediately shown to have been posing in front of a green screen.
- Reckless Gun Usage: Once Soldier find the gun, he immediately points it at the rest of the party, freaking them out in the process.
- Red Herring: Parodied. Demoman pops up out of nowhere, claiming to be the Heavy's murderer, and casually shoots Sniper as a demonstration. Everyone is shocked and horrified... until Demo tells it's a joke and everyone bursts into laughter.
- Running Gag: Continually acting surprised whenever anyone declares the Heavy to be dead.
- Seen-It-All Suicide: The RED Spy, upon seeing the Engineer be the real murderer, the Heavy coming back and then killing the Engineer.
- Self-Deprecation: At the end of the video, both the Spy and Heavy admit that the whole situation was stupid.
Spy: The Heavy is dead.
- This exchange, shortly after Spy enters:
Heavy: Yes. (subtitle says "sandwich")
- The game show gag - Spy and Engineer tell Sniper that the Heavy is dead. A Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?-style display promptly appears.
- When Soldier enters, Heavy, Spy, Sniper, Engineer, and the Announcer are all posed to resemble Manuel Sanchez's ''The suicide of Seneca''◊.
- In Pyro's background appearance, he is painting with an easel, which is a nod to another Machinima video, "Pyro Paints" by That Gray Cartoon Pony.
- Soldier declares "HE DIED" and Medic declares "THE HEAVY WAS KILLED" both in a very similar style to the dramatic courtroom presentations of the Ace Attorney series.
- There are tiny desk Engineers dancing in the grass when Soldier picks up the gun.
- As Soldier shows the gun to the rest of the living mercs, a RED Demoman and BLU Sniper carrying a pizza appear in the background before quickly running off. This is a reference to ItalianNinja98's video, Requiem for a Pizza: The Meeting.
- When Sniper asks "Well, now what?", he does Giorno and Gold Experience's pose with Spy.
- Skyward Scream: Exaggerated. When Heavy and Engineer are arguing near the end, Heavy interrupts Engineer by shouting Engineer's name into the sky. When Heavy does so, his head suddenly grows several times larger.
- Sole Survivor: When all is said and done, the only surviving main character is, ironically enough, Heavy. note
- Stylistic Suck: In true GMod Machinima style, the character movements and speech are awkward and erratic. It only makes it funnier. One particularly interesting case happens during Engineer and Heavy's shouting match where, in sharp contrast to the Rapid Fire Funny Background Events, the camera remains fixed on the barely-animated Spy looking back and forth at the argument before shrugging, with text eventually appearing informing us that "IT IS TRADITION." This is, most likely, a reference to a common practice by people who animate Smexuals where they will cut to a character who isn't speaking avoid having to animate particularly complex scenes—usually with text to the effect of "Sorry, got lazy."
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: The Medic is quite fond of doing thisMedic: In my medical opinion, that HEAVY IS DEAD!
- Suicide as Comedy: Spy, being the last one alive aside from Heavy, declares the whole thing idiotic and does a back-flip off a chair with a noose around his neck, and he is Killed Mid-Sentence with a Critical Hit sound effect.
- Surrounded by Idiots: The Spy, despite being Not So Above It All. He gives an exasperated "We know!" when Soldier informs him that the Heavy is dead, groans when the Scout shows up and orders the Scout to go home, is visibly Disappointed by the Motive when the perpetrator is revealed, and deems the series of events as idiotic before hanging himself.
- Surprisingly Sudden Death: IN SPADES! Characters die in the most abrupt and out-of-the-blue ways possible. For example, Soldier gets randomly run over by Medic's ambulance, or Demoman just drops dead from "Critical Shit" in the background.
- Surreal Humor: Some of the gags fit the bill, such as the myriad of Funny Background Events, the game show gag, and the moment where Heavy inexplicably duplicates and pokes his own dead body. note
- Team Killer: Demoman casually shoots Sniper as a Deadly Prank.
- Tempting Fate: Heavy's first statement is "It is good day to be not dead!" Unsurprisingly, he is immediately killed.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: When Engineer confesses the murder of Heavy and is questioned on why he would do such a thing, Engineer goes on a tirade where he states that it was because the Heavy was fat, ugly, and dumb.
- Title Drop: The phrase "Heavy is Dead" is said 14 times throughout the short.
- Too Dumb to Live: Yes, Medic, running headlong into a flaming car wreck is totally a good idea. It totally won't explode and kill you.
- Villainous Breakdown: Once Demo accuses BLU Engineer, the latter realizes the gig is up and goes insane as he confesses that he was the one who killed the Heavy.
- You Are Fat: Why did the Engineer kill the Heavy? "Coz you're fat, boy!"
- You Don't Look Like You: Downplayed; every character has most of their features from the main game intact, but most of them (save Engineer) are wearing cosmetics from Team Fortress 2:
- Heavy is always seen wearing a pair of Cool Shades.
- The Spy is wearing a military hat.
- The Sniper, by contrast, isn't wearing his normal hat, and is instead wearing a pair of shades and smoking a cigarette holder.
- The Soldier is given a rather bushy beard and a General MacArthur pipe.
- The Medic is bald, fully bearded, and has opaque shades.
- The Scout is wearing a ridiculously tacky unicorn hat.
- And the Demoman is wearing a pair of shades and a red wide-brimmed fedora, and smoking a cigar.
- You Just Told Me: When the Demoman unwittingly pointed out the Engineer as the real murderer:Engineer: How did you know?
Demoman: I didn't. (burp) That was a joke too.
- You Monster!: Spy says this to BLU Engineer when everybody realizes that he's the murderer.