Generation 1 (20062009) used games like Tenkaichi 2 and 3 and near the end, Raging Blast. It also saw the rise of Dragon Ball AX and Dragon Ball Shinnin (which is one of the only ones from then still ongoing).
Generation 2 (20102014) saw a decrease in popularity towards the end of 2012. Two of the most well known machinimas of this generation are 'DapZero Remastered' and 'Dragon Ball Z: Defender of Mankind'.
Generation 3 (20142016) sparked a small popularity boost (though not on the level of generation 1). Notable ones from here are 'Dragon Ball Z: Bloodlines', 'Dragon Ball Budoten: Element X', 'Dragon Ball: Saga of Kei' and 'Dragon Ball Voltage'.
Generation 4 (2017- ) Though many machinimas haven't exactly begun yet, some works that have already begun development are 'Dragon Ball Ascension' and 'Dragon Ball: Tenzo's Legacy'. The most popular series from this generation is 'Dragon Ball Chronicles'.
Some of the popular ones up here have folders for their tropes. Ones that don't are further down under their generation.
- Academic Alpha Bitch: Korrina
- Action Girl: Korrina
- Action Mom: Kushina, AKA, Kazukis mother. Though she ends up meeting her end in the first episode
- Action Prologue: We get one of these in the first episode. Goku and the above mentioned Kushina go head to head Shenli. It doesn't end very well...
- Adaptational Wimp: Tenrai gets this in arc 2.
- Aerith and Bob: Kazuki and Korrina are our generic anime names... and then we have Bering, Neva, Zoeda... where do those names come from?
- Alternate Continuity: Zank claimed that the Kazuki Black special is this.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Ever since Dragon Ball Super, this series has become this. Though that hasn't stopped the Budoten Team from using things like Golden Frieza or Zamasu (Aka, Kazuki Black)
- Animation Bump: The jump from Arc 1 and Arc 2. While Arc 1 ended up looking very awkward and unfinished when it came to gameplay, arc 2 was a lot better polished. May I say anything about the voice acting?
- Also if you want to bring up what Arc 3 will do with Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- April Fools' Day: For April Fools day in both 2015 and 2016, the Budoten cast claimed that EX was canceled. This would be pretty funny... if people didn't actually take it seriously... (In 2015, the series wouldn't come out for a while while in 2016, it was kind of obvious)
- Though they won't use anything outside of those examples and they'll all exist for different reasons.
- Battle Strip: Zoeda asks Vegeta to fight him so the fight can wear out the mummy wrap he was wearing.
- Narm: Neva's voice. So much so, that it became a recurring joke in the community to compare ones voice acting skills to Neva. It was so bad, that many believe his actor wasn't purposely doing the voice acting like trash. He wasn't...
- A God Am I: The Defender Of Mankind version of Powtato believes himself to have become a God Of Destruction.
- Can't Catch Up: It's implied that Goten and Trunks are far behind Rena's level in Dragon Ball Ball Future
- Dueling Works: Meta Example. Dragon Ball Ascension and Dragon Ball Soaring Dreamers to some. Also, Dragon Ball Future and Dragon Ball Beyond and sometimes all 4 if it's real serious. Usually Jayden will come up and say Chronicles kicks all of their asses in the end though...
- Five-Man Band:
- Welcome Episode: The first episode of Dragon Ball Future has every character introduced.