Brawl Universe is a Super Smash Bros. machinima series created by TheHedgehogEngine and, as its name suggests, was filmed in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The story begins five months just before the end of The Subspace Emissary and goes on to chronicle the events that led up to that of Brawl's Adventure Mode.
Or at least, that's just what it was at first.
Soon after, Brawl Universe quickly derails from that plotline follows a new original story. After the fall of Master Hand, peace had temporarily returned. Then suddenly, the Smashers face the threat of an invading army of Alloys who are attacking and kidnapping other Smashers from around the world. Behind this invasion are familiar faces from the Smashers' past who seem to be out for revenge, especially for Link and his friends. During all of this, the repercussions from aftermath of The Subspace Emissary come back to haunt the Smashers in a way more horrifying than they could ever expected.
The first part of episode one was uploaded on November 5, 2011. As of October 2017, eight episodes have been completed, with the first part of episode nine uploaded on March 30, 2017.
Remember The Melee, a Prequel series filmed in Super Smash Bros. Melee, was announced on August 7, 2012 and the first part of the prologue was released on May 28, 2013.
- After the End: The majority of the series takes place after the events of The Subspace Emissary and how the characters deal with and react to the events that follow.
- Animesque: Japanese intro/ending songs and eyecatches abound here.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Notably done a few times in the series.
Olimar: You know, now would be a good time to go to the credits. *awkward silence* *coughs*
- In episode 3, Bowser outright references his fanbase from fellow machinima, Smash King. That series was directed by Tigura21, who does the voice of Bowser in both series. Also doubles as a Shout-Out.
- Olimar at the end of Episode 5:
- Anytime Link envies not being the mascot of Nintendo.
- Continuity Nod: There are many heavy nods to Remember The Melee once Brawl Universe shifts to events after Subspace.
- Curbstomp Battle: When Link and Sheik fight against Wario and the DK Crew, they get crushed and thrown way off course in the ensuing fight.
- Darkest Hour: The events of The Subspace Emissary seen in Episode 1.
- Enemy Mine: Bowser teams up with Ganondorf despite the "shenanigans" Ganondorf had him involved with in the past. Dark Samus helping Ganondorf is another.
- Five-Bad Band:
- Friendly Rivalry: Mario and Sonic.
- Genre Savvy: Pretty much all the characters to some varying degree.
- I sense a Disturbance in the Aura: Lucario in episode 5, towards Mewtwos return.Lucario: I sense a disturbance...Its just as i feared, hes here. Which means...The War has begun.
- Just Before the End: Brawl Universe begins five months before the events of The Subspace Emissary.
- Literal Split Personality: Sheik who was made this way by Ganondorf's magic.
- Love Triangle: Played For Laughs and Played Straight. Sheik and Zelda are initally the same person, so they fight over Link's affections. Link himself has feelings for Zelda, but has to deal with Sheik as they travel to find Zelda who was kidnapped by the Wireframes.
- Mooks: The Alloys and the Wireframes.
- Oh, Crap!: This is Nesss Reaction to the heroes being surrounded and cornered by RO Bs in the villains base at the end of Episode 8.
- Reference Overdosed: The countless movie references said by the characters per episode such as The Dark Knight Trilogy and X Men Origins.
- The Rival: A rivalry forms between Peach and Sheik in episode 3.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Link and Zelda
- What the Hell Hero?: Sheik taking Wario's food and being the cause of him breaking his bike.
- Wham Line: Episode 5:Wolf: I have a message for you.Fox: And whats that?Wolf: You will feel the pain that I have felt those days ago. I will come for you and all your friends, and KILL you.
Mewtwo: You of all people should know. *teleports in front of Ganon and knocks him away* Theres PLENTY wrong with me.
- Episode 6 has a particular disturbing one: