- Romeo and Juliet and every imitator. Entire dissertations could be written on how both would have lived longer, happier lives if Romeo had decided to stay in and mope, Juliet had told him she wanted at least three dates before considering marriage, or the friar's advice to Juliet had been to take up her father's offer of being kicked out of the house so she could run away with Romeo easily, rather than telling her to fake her death.
- The Phantom of the Opera is based around this trope with a Stalker with a Crush and Mad Artist with a Compelling Voice and a Torture Cellar (who often becomes the Draco in Leather Pants) proving that Love Makes You Evil and Stalking Is Love in a Love Triangle with a Damsel in Distress and her childhood sweetheart. He chooses in the end to let his beloved be happy, giving us a Bittersweet Ending.
- Cyrano de Bergerac centers around a Love Triangle between three perfectly honorable, admirable people who all like and respect each other, two rivals who try as hard as they can to make the girl happy instead of fighting over her, and the original Playing Cyrano plot that isn't revealed until death has taken too many members out of the picture for anyone to be happy.
- A fact of life for Fiyero, Elphaba AND Glinda in Wicked (and Boq and Nessarose for that matter). Elphaba even comments on it during Defying Gravity 'Well if that's love/it comes at much too high a cost'
- City of Angels:Stone: Whoever said 'Time heals all wounds' never knew anyone like Bobbi.
- Next to Normal:The price of love is lossBut still we pay.
- Company: The entire point of the song "Being Alive" and it's a good thing, because otherwise you're not really living.Somebody hold me too close, somebody hurt me too deepSomebody sit in my chair and ruin my sleepAnd make me aware of being alive, being aliveSomebody need me too much, somebody know me too wellSomebody pull me up short, and put me through hellAnd give me support for being alive, make me alive!Make me confused, mock me with praiseLet me be used, vary my daysBut alone is alone, not alive!Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to careSomebody let me come through, I'll always be thereAs frightened as you to help us survive being aliveBeing alive, being alive, being alive!
Love Hurts / Theatre