What We Saw At Night is a 2013 Young Adult novel by Jacquelyn Mitchard. The Sequel, What We Lost in the Dark is due out at the end of the year.
Allie Kim and her friend, Rob and Juliet, suffer from a severe genetic disorder called Xeroderma Pigmentosum, a fatal allergy to sunlight. Forced to go out only at night, they deal with their condition with a you only live once attitude, taking up parkour.
During one of their nighttime adventures across the rooftops of the city, Allie witnesses a murder. Unable to get anyone to believe her, she decides to investigate herself.
Tropes Associated with this Work Include:
- Downer Ending: Allie is framed for attacking the killer, and Julie disappears with him, with her survival uncertain.
- Love Triangle: The gang develops into this.
- Manipulative Bastard: [[The killer has complete emotional control over Juliet and a couple other women. He is also a flawless liar.]]
- More Than Mind Control: Juliet has a close personal relationship with the killer, and is unable to break away from him.
- The Sociopath: The killer.
- Sequel Hook
- Serial Killer
- Kid Detective: Allie becomes this.
- ¡Three Amigos!