The basic premise is that a time traveller from the future has gone back in time to 1617, and gives king Louis XIII a mission : Unite the world under France to save it by preventing an apocalyptic war from happening in 2258.
Historical characters who appear or are referenced in the timeline:
- Blase Pascal
- Charles I of England and Scotland
- Louis XIII of France
- Marin Mersenne
- Pierre de Fermat
- René Descartes
- Cardinal Richelieu
This Alternate History timelime provides examples of :
- Alternative Character Interpretation: King Louis XIII is cured of his madness before it even starts. Descartes discovers much of what Sir Isaac Newton did in OTL, but a generation earlier
- Balkanize Me: Russia has been partitioned up by its neighbours.
- Bilingual Bonus: Many things are referred to in French, with an appropriate footnote.
- 100% Adoration Rating: Lampshaded. France has had rather less civil unrest, though that was more due to charisma enhancement...
- The Revolution Will Not Be Bureaucratized: Subverted. The revolution in the Federation of People's Republics was started thanks to many of its supporters being entrenched in the existing bureaucracy