Vainqueur Knightsbane is your average dragon: a giant, fire-breathing lizard who loves to take naps on his golden hoard, kidnap princesses for fun, and make the life of adventurers miserable. Vainqueur's only pleasure in life is to watch his treasure get bigger, one coin at a time.
So when a would-be thief turned unwilling minion tells him about "classes," "levels," and "quests," Vainqueur wonders if maybe, just maybe, he should consider a career change.
After all, why bother hunting monsters for free when you can get paid for it?
Vainqueur the Dragon by Void Herald, is an ongoing Fantasy Comedy Web Serial Novel following the misadventures of the eponymous dragon and his unwilling minion, Victor, in a fantasy world wholly unprepared for them.
This series provides examples of:
- Awful Truth: Dragons are . . . not immortal.
- Butt-Monkey: As Vainquer's chief of staff and chief lackey, this is Victor's job.
- Boxing Battler: In Ch. 51, When Vainqueur realizes the giant golem he is fighting is immune to almost all his draconic abilities, he gets up on his hind legs, activates his unarmed combat skill, and dismantles the golem through boxing. Even the System is so impressed that it calls the fight 'beeping awesome' and awards him eleven levels for that one fight.
- Celestial Bureaucracy: Between summoned demons acting as magical techsupport and Angels acting like insurance salesmen . . .
- The Ditz: Vainquer comes off as this most of the time, in a mix of Intelligence being his Dump Stat, an utter lack of common sense, and being so powerful that he doesn't need to think leads to him acting very, very dim.
- Does Not Understand Sarcasm: Being utterly arrogant, Vainquer never realizes when Victor is back sassing him, he takes full advantage of this for stress relief.
- Dragons Prefer Princesses: They're a major status symbol. They do operate on a catch and release program, though, to ensure a healthy princess population in the future.
- Greed: The plot is propelled by Vainquer realizing that the new class system means that he can get more money by going on adventures.
- Just Eat Him: How Vainqueur dealt with bandits.
- Monster Adventurers: For a different reason than usual. Vainquer does not feel the need to move up the food chain.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Pure Western variant.
- RPG-Mechanics Verse: The story starts when Vainqueur realizes his world follows these rules, including gaining a class of his own. In a difference from the norm, Outremonde didn't use to be an RPG-Mechanics Verse and only became that way after the god, Dice, altered reality.
- Psycho for Hire: The Scorchers led by Vilmain and Gustave who are happily going around burning and murdering their way across Gardemagne under the orders of the demon king. The finishing touch is that they complain that being a murder hobo stops being profitable EXP wise after reaching level twenty.
- Smug Super: Vainqueur is every bit as arrogant as you would expect from a centuries-old great dragon.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: A nest of trolls in the forest? Burn the forest.
- Trapped in Another World: The gods of Outremonde tend to grab mortals from Earth and send them to their homeworld for a variety of reasons. It's reached the point where the natives treat it as an uncommon, but completely normal, occurrence. There's even a religion offering the faithful resurection on Earth.