The Windwater Pack is a book series about three generations of leaders in a pack of wolves. Its key characters are Zephyr, a Raised by Humans Papa Wolf, his mate Sequana, his sons Ruger, Cian and Julian, his daughter Layla, and his grandchildren Legacy and Calaway.
The original can be read here. A film adaptation of the first book is in the works, and more information can be found here.
Tropes present in this series:
- Animal Talk: Referred to as “common speech”, though each species also has its own language, and understanding humans is a learned behavior.
- Big Brother Instinct: Ruger for all his younger siblings.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Nicodemus' son when his father breaks up a fight between him and Zephyr.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Cian’s declaration of love for Moira is messed up enough that she Lampshades it.
- Dead Guy Junior: Moonriver is named for her grandmother.
- Deadpan Snarker: The reason it's said sarcasm is Zephyr’s first language. Apparently an inherited trait i.e. Layla and Cian. Sequana and Moira have their moments too.
- Disney Death: Zephyr in the first installment.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Zephyr’s reaction to most attacks on his loved ones.
- First Girl Wins: Moira is this for Cian. Maybe Sequana for Zephyr, as she is the first unattached she-wolf he meets.
- Freudian Excuse: Zephyr's backstory. Still doesn't excuse ripping the throat out or tearing to shreds people that threaten his loved ones.
- Happily Married: Zephyr and Sequana, as well as most of the mates
- I "Uh" You, Too: Cian’s confession of love to Moira amounts to him accidentally quoting his dad before he gets the words out.
- Like Brother and Sister: Zephyr and his human have this vibe.
- Narrative Profanity Filter: This gem from Zephyr’s Legacy: Eclipse growled in pure fury. “Leave it to him to destroy a well-balanced pack! That –” She let out an unprintable stream of curses.
- Meaningful Name: Most of the characters have names whose meaning are somehow indicative of their personality.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Nicodemus, Ruger, Layla
- Nearly Normal Animal: Every wolf (except Zephyr at times) is a Largely Normal Animal.
- Noble Wolf: While they are portrayed semi-realistically, most of the characters fall under this trope.
- Official Couple: Zephyr and Sequana, Cian and Moira, Julian and Eclipse, Legacy and Legend
- Overprotective Dad: Zephyr all the way. Slightly understandable given his past.
- Papa Wolf: Zephyr, no contest.
- The Patriarch: Zephyr is this for the Windwater Pack, at least in his childrens eyes.
- Raised by Humans: Zephyr, as a result some of his traits confuse his fellow wolves.
- Retired Badass: Nicodemus after being overthrown by his son.
- Savage Wolves: Subverted, big time. The wolves are portrayed as close to real life as they can be, but they aren't blood-thirsty monsters.
- Shout-Out: To certain series (Avalon: Web of Magic, The Circle Trilogy) and songs/singers are referred to now and again. In some cases, good luck figuring out what Zephyr's talking about.