For other works by this name, go here.
Le lien (Literal transition: The Link) or The Ties That Bind is an autobiographical erotic novel written by French author Vanessa Duriès and published in 1993.
Laika is a young student who has been initiated into BDSM (bondage and discipline/dominance and submission/sadism and masochism). She gradually evolves into a slave and develops a growing love relationship with her master, Pierre. She also reveals her sexual orientation to her parents, which has devastating effects on her relationship with them.
This book provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Laika took corporal punishment from her father for the first 20 years of her life.
- Casual Kink: Subverted. Anything but.
- Extreme Doormat: Laika qualifies if she took corporal punishment for 20 years without complaint and willingly became a slave in BDSM.
- One Steve Limit: An out-of-universe example. Just look above!
- Very Loosely Based on a True Story: This book is supposedly an autobiography, but there's no evidence that it did happen as it's being described.