- The Stupids Step Out (1974)
- The Stupids Have a Ball (1978)
- The Stupids Die (1981)
- The Stupids Take Off (1989)
The books were made into a film adaptation in 1996 directed by John Landis, starring Tom Arnold as the family's patriarch, Stanley Stupid, for which he won a Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actor. The film was critically panned and was a Box Office Bomb.
Features examples of the following tropes:
- Actor IS the Title Character: Tom Arnold is STUPID. (Stanley Stupid)
- Advertised Extra: Jenny McCarthy was this in the film.
- Alliterative Name: Stanley Stupid.
- The Cameo: The film has a cameo by director Costa-Gavras, of all people.
- The Ditz: A whole family.
- Hand Cannon: One of the corrupt air force officers selling weapons on the black market demonstrates a pistol that is essentially a handheld Grenade Launcher.
- Head Pet: Mrs. Stupid wears a cat on her head when she goes out with the family in one of the books.
- Idiot Ball: Much of the humor of the books is indeed a result of the mental acuity of the Stupids — they are so inept they are unable to do even the simplest of tasks (e.g., falling asleep, breathing) without being reminded how to do so.
- Milkman Conspiracy: They believe one regarding the garbage men.
- My Own Grandpa: In the movie, Stanley goes to a Point-and-Laugh Show discussing family problems, says he's this and goes into the Trope Namer song. It even becomes a Crowd Song in the last chorus.
- Spanner in the Works: As one may guess, this is the family's role in the film against the villains.
- Too Dumb to Live: The entire family.
- Video Credits: Used at the close of the film.
- What an Idiot!: In-universe and pretty much the entire point of the books and film a family who is so idiotic that even the most mundane, everyday tasks are an overwhelmingly great challenge.