Queen Shulamit never expected to inherit the throne of the tropical land of Perach so young. At twenty, grief-stricken and fatherless, she's also coping with being the only lesbian she knows after her sweetheart ran off for an unknown reason. Not to mention, she's the victim of severe digestive problems that everybody think she's faking. When she meets Rivka, an athletic and assertive warrior from the north who wears a mask and pretends to be a man, she finds the source of strength she needs so desperately.
Unfortunately for her, Rivka is straight, but that's okay — Shulamit needs a surrogate big sister just as much as she needs a girlfriend. Especially if the warrior's willing to take her around the kingdom on the back of her dragon in search of other women who might be open to same-sex romance. The real world outside the palace is full of adventure, however, and the search for a royal girlfriend quickly turns into a rescue mission when they discover a temple full of women turned to stone by an evil sorcerer.
Tropes found in this include:
- Bi the Way: Queen Shulamit's cook/love interest.
- Bury Your Gays: averted
- Disabled Love Interest: Shulamit for Aviva
- Gaydar: Shulamit's needs some work
- Lover and Beloved: Rivka and Isaac
- Medieval European Fantasy
- No Bisexuals: averted with Aviva (though no one calls her as such since that word doesn't seem to exist in Perach)
- Princesses Rule: Technically averted since she is the queen which is not to say that she feels like one all the time
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Both Queen Shulamit and Prince Kaveh (from the sequel) are deeply and actively involved in the political life of their kingdoms.
- Standard Royal Court