The Road to Willa Cather Landing is a timeline on AlternateHistory.com set in an alternate 2012 North America. More specifically, it's set in the Great Plains United Republic, part of the former United States, in the runup to the Presidential election. A Spin-Off, Land of Confusion, was created not long after, which deals with the runup to the presidential election in the Industrial Republic of North America. The elections have been decided, but the timelines are still continuing covering the transition to power, as well as the tension in the CSA. It can be found online.
- Collateral Angst: Several media outlets after the Gare du Nord bombing. The coverage focused not on the numerous dead or injured or the intended target, Abigail Anderson, but Abigail's best friend, Taylor Swift.
- The Cover Changes the Meaning:
- Subverted. Numerous songs are written very differently, including "Okie From Muskogee".
- Simultaneously played straight (in-universe) by "Our God is an Awesome God." The official version in the CSA invokes divine retribution on the CSA's enemies — but the other version sung by dissidents invokes divine retribution on the CSA...
- Defector from Decadence: Several, from Bill Clinton to Tim Tebow.
- Divided States of America: And Canada as well.
- Enemy Mine: The CSA and their major ally...the USSR.
- The Great Politics Mess-Up: Subverted. The USSR is still around. The USA broke up in the 1930's.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Numerous political and cultural figures, many from the Midwest.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Both Superstorm Sandy and George McGovern's death were incorporated into the story.
- Richard Nixon the Used Car Salesman: Numerous examples. At least two female politicians have different spouses. Condoleeza Rice is married to Grant Hill, while the former Hillary Rodham is married to Pat Riley.