"What of it? Any oaths I swore to Galefrid died when he did".
The first novel by Liane Merciel in the fictional world of Itheles. The book is set in two rivaling adjacent kingdoms of Oakharne and Langmyr, once part of the same empire.
Leferic, second son of Lord Ossaric has his brother (the warmongering Galefrid) killed, hiring a Thorn out of Ang'arta to do the deed. She does this by completely purging the town of Willowfield. Unfortunately for him, Galefrid's son survives the assassination attempt, leading to a bargain he does not want to make. Meanwhile, a Knight of Celestia (Kelland) and his companion (Bitharn) are tasked with finding out who exactly was behind the carnage.
This book contains examples the following Tropes.
- Action Girl: Bitharn, though she straddles the line between Faux Action Girl. She does win an archery tournament. Kelland intentionally keeps her out of the battle with Severine
- Everybody's Dead, Dave: Brys to Odosse, on why she can't go back to Willowfield.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Brys, Leferic, and Albric claim this in some form or another.
- I Shall Taunt You: Severine, to Kelland. He doesn't take it well.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Kelland. At least, everyone thinks of him as one. He thinks of himself as untested.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Brys. He may have been knighted by Galefrid, but Galefrid is dead. He still finds himself protecting Odosse and Wistan.
- ThePlan: Leferic gets a neat one at the end.