The Rainbow Trilogy by Alex Sanchez follows three queer boys through their senior year of high school and the summer after. The books include Rainbow Boys (2001), Rainbow High (2003), and Rainbow Road (2005). Not to be confused with the other Rainbow Road.
This series provides an example of:
- All Gays Are Promiscuous
- Author Tract: The books are loaded with Gay Aesop.
- Bi the Way: Jason claims to be bi, even though he dumped his girlfriend for Kyle after fantasizing about him while making out with his girlfriend
- Camp Gay: Nelson.
- Cast Full of Gay: Most noticeable in the third book of the trilogy.
- Cleaning Up Romantic Loose Ends: Nelson gets a boyfriend in the last book - some guy he just met in California, who just happened to dye his hair the same shade of pink.
- Coming-Out Story: Jason and Kyle in the first book, various others in later books.
- Gay Aesop
- Gaydar: Nelson has mastered this.
- Power Trio
- Freudian Trio: Nelson is the Id, Jason is the Ego, Kyle is the Superego.
- Prom Is for Straight Kids: In the second book.
- Straight Gay: Kyle and Jason.
- Token Minority: Jason is Hispanic.
- Transgender: BJ, the transgender hitchiker in the third book.