Will West is careful to live life under the radar. At his parents' insistence, he's made sure to get mediocre grades and to stay in the middle of the pack on his cross-country team. Then Will slips up, accidentally scoring off the charts on a nationwide exam.
Now Will is being courted by an exclusive prep school . . . and followed by men driving black sedans. When Will suddenly loses his parents, he must flee to the school. There he begins to explore all that he's capable of—physical and mental feats that should be impossible—and learns that his abilities are connected to a struggle between titanic forces that has lasted for millennia.(Summary from Shelfari)
This work contains examples of:
- Academy of Adventure: The Center, where Will takes refuge after his home is no longer safe for him.
- Ancient Conspiracy: The Paladin Knights, otherwise known as the Knights of Charlemagne.
- The Bully: Lyle, who is also gifted like Will and is more than willing to use it to push students around.
- The Chosen One: Will who's been chosen by an alien race to be the first human to Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence, and Lyle is an evil example, who was chosen by the evil aliens.
- He Knows Too Much: This is seemingly why Ronnie Murso, the kid who had Will's room before him, vanished. He found out about the conspiracy involving the Paladin Knights.
- Hollywood Hacking: Somewhat justified in that there are both supernatural elements at hand and the computers at the Center have their own unique operating system different from those of normal computers.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Lyle
- Jerkass: Lyle again, who makes fun of Will and his friends for having earned their way into the school by merit rather than by wealth and heritage. He does this by calling them charity cases.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: The teachers at the Center are mostly good people and are not involved in the conspiracy going on within the school. Special mention goes to the head of the Center, who adopts Will after the deaths of his parents and saves him from the agent who killed them, posing as a federal agent.
- Super Speed: One of the first abilities Will displays. He is at least as fast as a deer.