The Other Kind of Roommate by Tartra is an urban fantasy Web Serial Novel that follows Alex, the protagonist determinedly hiding from a nine year and Agency sponsored manhunt, and Beth, a Starving Artist living in the apartment below him. Armed with nothing but invisible laser beams and Xander, the voice in his head with a penchant for permanent solutions, Alex struggles to survive his woes while getting caught in the start of Beth's.
This story contains examples of:
- As Lethal as It Needs to Be: According to Alex, his powers can stun, cause seizures, start comas, and in Xander's hands, kill.
- Berserk Button: Xander just wants his latté.
- Destination Defenestration: This is said to happen so often, Xander moved a dumpster under their window to catch the bodies he throws six storeys down.
- Eye Beams: Alex's powers. They're invisible and potentially deadly.
- Fighting the Lancer: Alex and Xander have physically fought each other enough for Beth to finish painting a series with only the vibrations through her ceiling.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Beth has shown a few traits of this, and starts them off by implying it's a family trait.
- Gollum Made Me Do It: Alex's mantra whenever Xander uses his powers to kill.
- Psycho Sidekick: When Alex can't stomach pulling the trigger, Xander's more than happy to help.
- Sexier Alter Ego: Beth certainly seems in a flirtier mood with Xander than Alex.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Xander's primary means of communication.
- Spy Catsuit: The suit Agents. Along with Chameleon Camouflage, they're supposedly also bulletproof, shockproof, fireproof and wizard-proof.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Xander, for Alex.
- Symbiotic Possession: No matter how hard they butt heads, Alex willingly gives Xander control of the body when it's time to fight.
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: On the night she has to finish four more paintings, Beth gets ready for her date, organizes her make-up, takes an hour to pick her socks, paints her toenails and gets slammed on a mix of tequila, whiskey and Ceasers.
- Quit Your Whining: Next to profanity and insults, this is Xander's most frequent message to Alex.
- Working with the Ex: Terry isn't just the director of the gallery Beth's featured in, but also her last serious relationship.