Much has changed since the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade closed down. Ivan and Ruby are in Wildworld Zoological Park and Sanctuary, where they're looked after by caring people, and around others of their own species. And as for Bob, he's found himself a new home with Julia and her parents, George and Sara. He finds it to be a comfortable existence. Three square meals, belly rubs on demand, all that stuff. It would be perfect if not for the neighbourhood poodle, Snickers, and Nutwit, the squirrel living in his family's tree.
One day, Julia and her family, along with Bob, head to the sanctuary to see Ivan and Ruby. Bob manages to get in some chat time with them, but unfortunately, something terrible happens.
Hurricane Gus was scheduled to be moving through the area for some time now. And while Julia, Bob, and their family are in the park, it decides to hit, sending Bob flying across the park into the giraffe exhibit, causing multiple animals to be released, and causing mass chaos. Now, Bob needs to survive the storm, and in the process, meet up with someone he never expected, but always hoped, to see again.
The book was published on May 5th, 2020.
The One And Only Bob contains examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Snickers becomes one to Bob after they confess their feelings for each other in the pound.
- Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp": Dogs have lots of different names for things that they do. There's a list of them at the beginning of the book.
- Character Narrator: The story is told from Bob's perspective. The audiobook version is even narrated by Danny DeVito, who voiced the character in the The One and Only Ivan film.
- Cowardly Lion: Bob. He's scared out of his mind, and every cell in his body wants him to save himself, but he still risks his life to save his nephew from a flooding river.
- Full-Name Ultimatum: Bob gets called "Robert" when he's in trouble.
- Honorary Uncle: Ruby, an elephant, calls Bob "Uncle Bob", and Ivan, gorilla, "Uncle Ivan". Also, Ivan is seen as this by the other baby gorillas in their habitat.
- Rising Water, Rising Tension: When the pound starts getting flooded, and the water level starts rising, Bob takes charge. He has the other animals stack the belongings in their cages so they can have something to lean against, allowing them to keep their heads above the water.