The Hunger Pains is a book written by the Harvard Lampoon, a parody of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The Harvard Lampoon are also know for their parodies of Twilight and The Lord of the Rings, named Nightlight and Bored of the Rings, respectively. The protagonist is named Kantkiss Neverclean, who's struggling with her feelings for Carol Handsomestein, her insanely handsome hunting partner, and Pita Malarkey, who's a doughy...klutz. Unfortunately, when she volunteers for her sister Prin, short for Princess, at the Super Fun Day, well, she has to fight the battle in her own heart, as long as she can survive.
Characters include but aren't limited to:
- Kantkiss Neverclean, the protagonist
- Carol Handsomestein, Kantkiss's hunting partner
- Pita Malarkey, the baker's son
- Prin (short for Princess), Kantkiss's loving sister
- Buttich Totalapathy, the mentor for District 12
- Effu Poorpeople, the escort for District 12
This book provides examples of:
- Losing Horns: Type B. When tributes die, instead of a cannon, a BWOMP BWOMP trombone sound plays instead.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: When Pita hurts his finger, he literately screams and yells that he can't go on, and makes Kantkiss move him to safety and take care of him. A small cut on his finger, mind you.
- Parody: A parody of the Hunger Games.
- Parody Names: See above. There's the obvious ones, Pita and Kantkiss, but Effu and President Bernette can throw you at first. Then, of course, the Cornucrapia.