A surreal novel by Leonora Carrington. Ninety-two-year-old Marian Leatherby receives an antique hearing trumpet for her birthday and immediately overhears her family planning to send her to a nursing home. But the nursing home turns out to be very out of the ordinary: The houses are shaped like boots and birthday cakes, and the residents have to perform a daily regimen of rubbing their stomachs while patting their heads. Then it gets weirder.
This book provides examples of:
- Apocalypse How: The happiest Type 1 you're likely to find.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Carmella, who writes letters to random people out of the phone book.
- Dark Comedy
- Disguised in Drag: Maude
- Ear Trumpet
- Humans Are Bastards
- Little Old Lady Investigates
- Magical Negro: Christabel
- Magical Realism
- Nature Spirit
- Riddle Me This:I wear a white cap on my head and my tailAll seasons my caps I wear without failAround my fat belly my girdle is hotI move round and round tho' legs I have notthe earth
- Super Senses: The trumpet seems to grant heightened hearing.
- These Questions Three...