Katie Welker is used to being alone. She would rather read a book than deal with other people. Other people dont have silver eyes. Other people cant make things happen just by thinking about them!
But these special powers make Katie unusual, and its hard to make friends when youre unusual. Katie knows that shes different, but shes never done anything to hurt anyone, so why is everyone afraid of her? Maybe there are other kids out there who have the same silver eyes...and the same talents..and maybe theyll be willing to help her.
Tropes present in The Girl with the Silver Eyes include:
- Adjusting Your Glasses: Katie does this with her mind, severely disturbing her grandmother.
- Alliterative Name: Jackson Jones, the paper boy.
- Badass Bookworm: Katie is quiet and loves to read, but she's also telekinetic, and her powers are growing as she learns how to use them.
- Bookworm: Katie prefers books to most people. And can you blame her?
- Broken Aesop: Despite the entire message of the story being that people can look different and still be accepted, most of the protagonists are not unattractive, unlike Mr. P. and Nathan, who are portrayed in a negative light. Then there's Mr. C, who started out as a handsome stranger, subverted when it begins to seem like he's trying to get Katie arrested and seems to further cement the aesop, but double subverted when it turns out at the last moment he's actually a nice guy. Katie's disgust of her babysitters also seems to be based on their appearance.
- Cool Old Lady: Mrs. M, a neighbor in Katie's apartment complex whom she befriends.
- Crazy Cat Lady: Well, it's only one cat. His name is Lobo.
- Creepy Child: How Katie comes off to most adults. She's intelligent, quiet and fairly antisocial, and has a habit of staring at people longer than they find comfortable.
- Child Hater: Mr. P., who loathes Katie and constantly avoids paying Jackson.
- Informed Attribute: It's mentioned twice that Jackson is teased for his mismatched eyes, but this is never seen in action.
- Loners Are Freaks: Or at least considered such by disconcerted adults.
- Mind over Matter: Katie is telekinetic.
- Mismatched Eyes: Jackson Jokes has one blue eye and one green eye. It doesn't indicate anything about him personally, but he serves as a demonstration to Katie that people can look different and still be accepted.
- Mundane Utility: Katie uses her powers to push her glasses up and turn off the lights from bed without effort.
- Nerd Glasses: Katie's are huge and thick rims.
- Oven Logic: Katie attempts to cook a meatloaf faster by moving the temperature up from 350 to 500.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Another of Katie's gifts. She uses it to talk to Lobo.
- Technicolor Eyes: As a result of an experimental drug, to which the mothers of the affected kids (including Katie) were exposed while pregnant. This caused them develop powers. Jackson Jones also has mismatched eyes, one blue, one green, though his are natural.