A woman feeling devoid of the will to live. A man with rotted arms who can never die. At midnight, they take a walk.
- Downer Beginning: Mary starts the story alone, walking through the snow and devoid of the will to live. Then she meets the Gangrene Man.
- Creepy Good: The Gangrene Man is weird, bizarre and kinda disturbing, but he's a pretty decent fellow.
- Mercy Kill: The Gangrene Man mentions using his powers to finish off people dying in pain.
- Never Heard That One Before: The Gangrene Man states that the first thing people mention is his rotting arms.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Discussed when the Gangrene Man is asked if he is undead, and he denies being so.
- Shout-Out: The Gangrene Man mentions seeing a man named "Cameron" in a "bubble" in the Marianas Trench, once—and jokes he had the temptation to reach up and pop it.
- Walk and Talk: The Gangrene Man asks Mary if she is talking a walk, says that he is too, and says to keep walking. The two proceed to converse while walking together.
- Walking the Earth: It's what the Gangrene Man does: walking about from place to place.
- Walking Wasteland: The Gangrene Man decays anything he touches, such a tree that rots within seconds.