A 2013 novel, and the sequel to The Compound.
Eli and his family have been in an underground compound for six years, but when they learned it was all a twisted experiment by his father, Eli and his family escape, excluding his father, and reunite with Eli's grandmother and twin brother Eddy. In addition to Eli's family readjusting, Eddy has to readjust to having not only his mother and siblings, but an additional four little kids. But things still can't go back to normal, because now they're famous. After living in a nuclear bunker for so long, people know who they are. As they try to adapt back into every day life, events begin to unfold, and Eli realizes that his father's experimenting is far from over.
Tropes featured in this book:
- Birthday Episode: Quinn turns one in this book and has a penguin themed birthday party.
- Fountain of Youth: Rex literally has a way to reverse the aging process as he turns Phil into a teenager named Tony and turns various people into blobs of goo.
- Gene Hunting: Lexie has an interest in finding her birth parents.
- Not Quite Dead: When Eli, Eddy, and Lexie get to the island, their father is revealed to be alive.
- Sick Episode: Cara gets the stomach flu, and passes it on to Lucas, Reese, Eli, and Eddy.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Rex screams at everyone after Lexie tells him that they don't want to stay here forever.