Aileana Kameron should be a proper young lady, and maintain a flawless reputation - especially since her mother died under mysterious circumstances, and many suspect Aileana of having murdered her. But Aileana has more important things to do than dancing and polite conversation. She needs to avenge her mother. Who was killed by a faery.Her loyal best friend, who always makes up excuses for her when she vanished from the ballroom again, is getting impatient and wants to know what Aileana is doing when she has an "headache" and leaves. As if that was not complicated enough, Aileana finds out that her mentor, a faery who hunts his own kind, has kept a very important secret from her.
The Falconer is the first part of a trilogy.
- Cold Iron: Surprisingly of no use against those fae.
- The Fair Folk: Most don't believe in them anymore, but those fairies are definitely only called "the fair folk" as to not draw their ire.
- G-Rated Drug: The fairy male who lives in Aileanas closet and mends her clothes loves honey and gets drunk on it.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: Ailaena's mentor in fae killing is a fae himself. She never asks why - presumably because she wouldn't like the answer.
- It's Personal: The fae killed Aileana's mother, that's why she kills them.
- Kryptonite Factor: A special kind of thistle works against the fae in the way iron works against the fairies in other works.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: Aileana's mentor tells her that his motives are different from hers.
- True Sight: Aileana's maidservant has it.