The timeline of the series, beginning with Marigold and the Feather of Hope and ending with Journey's End, spans ten years. The series ran for 60 books before finishing, though only 13 were published as standalones—the rest were packaged in self-published collections.
This series contains examples of:
- Darker and Edgier: Some books have darker subject matter than others, going from a mission to restore laughter to a mission to stop every creature on Earth from becoming extinct.
- Glamour: Nonmagical people see fairies as their fairy spirits, ordinary insects or flowers.
- Good Is Not Soft: Mother Nature, while a benevolent being, is terrifying in some of her forms, such as quicksand or hurricanes.
- Grand Finale: Journey's End, which closed the series with Marigold taking on an apprentice.
- Green Aesop: Many books deal with protecting something precious in nature.
- Long Runner: It ran for 60 books, and in-universe, the timeline spans 10 years.