The Ables is a Young Adult novel written by Jeremy Scott, one of the founders of CinemaSins.
Philip Sallinger is blind, and telekinetic. The last part surprises him; his father tells him. Only one problem: no one thinks that Phillip is cut out to be a hero due to his blindness, and the school system puts him in a special needs class for those with powers. Determined to prove his bullies wrong, Phillip forms a hero team within the special needs class, while a mysterious man targets him.
Tropes for this book include:
- Always Save the Girl: Subverted. Though Phillip is tempted, he can't bring himself to surrender to the Finch to save his mother because he doesn't believe he's the chosen one that Finch thinks he is, and because he promised his father he would send a distress signal for help. Then Finch reveals he lied and wasn't planning to restore Mrs. Sallinger's life, in the hopes of awakening Phillip's latent powers.
- Asshole Victim: Subverted. Phillip is horrified when the Finch murders Steve just because he happens to be standing in his way. Steve was a bully, but by no means deserving to be killed during a training exercise.
- Bittersweet Ending: Verging on Downer Ending almost; Finch succeeds in wiping out a good portion of Freepoint and escaping with most of his followers before the bomb hits full impact, but Donnie prevents the bomb from killing everyone at the cost of his life, unless he's unable to come home. Patrick gets his powers and becomes an honorary Able. The Ables continue to meet and will participate in the Super Sims, now that they've gotten their status and reputation restored, in honor of Donnie's memory.
- "Could Have Avoided This!" Plot: While beating up the Finch and nearly killing him, Phillip shouts that his grandfather didn't have to murder his mother to try and find out if Phillip was the chosen one. He could have just been a grandfather and a part of their family, the way Charles was.
- Karma Houdini: Finch teleports away with a number of his surviving followers before the bombs hit. Though now he's the most wanted man in the United States.
- Kick the Dog: Chad and Finch sabotage the Ables' second Super Sims run, for no real reason.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: The Finch is actually Phillip's grandfather, Thomas. He didn't die when he was struck by lightning and fell.
- The Mole: Chad was one, coerced by Finch into giving up an arm for the Believers cause and to spy on The Ables.
- Once More, with Clarity!: We finally learn why Charles turned on Thomas Sallinger; he reveals before he dies that he saw Thomas was becoming obsessed with power and with the prophecy and acted on the spur of the moment.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Finch kills Mrs. Sallinger, Phillip's mother, after leaving her in a coma for weeks.
- The Unchosen One: It turns out that Phillip was not the reincarnation of Elben, as Finch had predicted. Donnie ended up being The Chosen One who would rise to the occasion and save everyone, but as Henry angrily points out, Finch is the reason that the Ables exist and that they survived the Believers' onslaught.
- This Is Not a Drill: The Super Sims end up being completely useless when a real emergency happens.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: It doesn't say if Chad got away with Finch or was killed during the explosion.