Slated is the first book in a Young Adult series written by Teri Terry.
Kyla's memory has been erased, her personality wiped blank, her memories lost forever.
She's been Slated.
The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla's mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?
The sequels are Fractured and Shattered.
This series contains examples of:
- Amnesia Danger: After first being Slated, people have no idea about how to stop themselves from being hurt - they have to be re-taught everything from "look both ways before crossing the road," to "knives are sharp and can hurt you." For this reason Slateds have to stay at the facility for a while before they can go live with their new families.
- Amnesia Missed a Spot: It seems Kyla's memory has not been entirely wiped after all... although that's supposed to be impossible.
- Blank Slate: Slating turns you into one - that's why it's called "Slating".
- Brainwashed: Ben, when he reappears. He's been slated again and then brainwashed by the Lorders.
- Dangerous 16th Birthday: After turning sixteen a person is no longer eligible for Slating, so if they get into serious trouble the government will just execute them instead.
- Dystopia: The UK of this series is not a very nice place. At all.
- Happiness Is Mandatory: Slateds have to wear special watch-like devices called Levos until their 21st birthday, which monitor their emotions and assign them different levels. Positive emotions such as happiness raise the level, negative ones make it drop, and if it gets below a certain point the person is knocked out. If it gets even lower it can lead to brain damage or even death, and if the Slated tries to become violent their Levo will automatically knock them unconscious. Slateds are therefore forced to always remain happy and peaceful or risk their own health.
- La Résistance: Free UK, also called the Anti-Government Terrorists (AGT).
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Slating wipes all of your memories clean.
- Loss of Identity: Kyla, given that all of her memories are gone.
- Love Triangle: In the last book, Shattered, one develops with Kyla having to choose between Ben and Aidan.
- My Art, My Memory: Kyla finds that her pre-slating memories are reappearing through her drawings.
- Quest for Identity: A large part of the series is about Kyla's search to find out who she was before being Slated.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilised: Nico and Free UK are willing to do some rather unpleasant things in order to overthrough the government.
- Secret Police: The Lorders, men in smart grey suits who are always watching. They're even in school assemblies.
- Split Personality: Nico deliberately made Kyla (or Lucy, as she was called at the time) develop two separate identities: Rain and Lucy. One was right handed and the other left-handed because memory is linked to which hand you use and therefore when she was Slated they only wiped out the Lucy personality, leaving Rain's memories to re-emerge.
- Un-person: People who are taken away by the Lorders simply disappear and are never spoken of again.