Skin is a novel by Ted Dekker, and happens in the same universe as The Circle Series, The Paradise Novels, and The Lost Books.A freak storm in the small town of Summerville, Nevada forces four people to seek shelter the basement of a doctor's house: Colt, a cop chasing down a Serial Killer called (Sterling) Red, Wendy, a woman who escaped a cult and Hates Being Touched, cynical gamer Jerry, and siblings inhumanly beautiful Nicole and occultist Carey. When they emerge, they find that the town is gone and are sucked into Red's mind games.
This book provides examples of the following tropes:
- Abusive Parents: All of the main protagonists except Pinkus.
- Canon Welding: At the end, Colt is wearing a Forest Guard shirt. Also, Sterling RED!
- Faking the Dead: Colt does this briefly , as does Sterling Red, as Tim Healy.
- Freudian Excuse: Colt, Carey and Nicole.
- Hates Being Touched: Wendy.
- Killed Off for Real: Nicole, Carey, and Tim Healy.
- True Beauty Is on the Inside: The theme in Skin ("We are all ugly inside").