This is the story of Simon Bloom, an imaginative 11-year old boy who finds the wondrous Teacher's Edition of Physics (or does it find him?), a Book that lets him control the laws of Physics.
Simon and his friends, Owen and Alysha, have a great time with these powers, but unfortunately, they're not the only ones who know about it. The Book belongs to a group, called the Order of Physics, who wants it back. Plus, there are two villains who will stop at nothing to get the Book for their own nasty plans. Of course, all of these people have their own science powers...and it's only a matter of time before they find Simon and his friends.
Now you, yes you, can control the universe! This book has action, adventure and humor, all set in a modern-day New Jersey town. With science as magic, almost anything is possible...but first you have to understand the rules to make it work!
This book contains examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Order members usually change their names upon joining. For example, Sara Beth becomes Sirabetta. Some members of the Order of Physics say Simon Bloom is far too ordinary a name and they don't know how they're going to change that appropriately.
- Artistic License Physics: This forms the basis of the plot, with the formulas allowing Order members to manipulate the laws of physics, biology, etc.
- Badass Bookworm: Simon.
- Blessed with Suck: Sirabettas tattoos allow her a large number of formulas, but they cause her pain, she can only use two at a time, and she cant use them if theyre covered up.
- Also, Ralfagon has a large number of formulas, which makes him a bit absentminded a lot of the time.
- Fountain of Youth: Simon uses an experimental forumula to reverse time itself and revert Sirabetta to the age of 13 from the age of 30. Sirabetta enlists her mother in Octopus Effect to attempt to age herself back to her normal age, but she can't stay that way forever.
- Gravity Master: Simons first formula allows him to control gravity.
- In the second book, he gains the ability to control 4 tentacles, similar to those of octopi, each composed of pure gravity.
- Lemony Narrator: Is an actual character in the story. He watches everything Simon does on monitors from the comfort of his apartment and types up what happens. This results in Breaking the Fourth Wall later when Simon and his friends meet the Narrator of their Chronicle in his apartment and comment on the screens.
- The Masquerade: Outsiders, non-Union members, have no idea that the Union even exists.
- Motor Mouth: Owen has a tendency to talk really fast when he gets scared.
- One Person, One Power: Order members start out with only one formula.
- Painting the Frost on Windows: The Science Orders (and the rest of the Knowledge Union), make sure the proverbial cogs of the world keep on turning smoothly.
- Place of Power: Dunderhook woods, the meeting place of the Order of Physics.
- Prehensile Hair: Simon's new school principal has a massive Beehive Hairdo that can point in various directions. Of course, it's really a giant anamatronic wig.
- Shock and Awe: When Alysha chooses to gain the powers of capacitance, she can store up electrical energy and discharge it at will.
- Somebody Else's Problem: Sirabetta has a special cloak from the Order of Psychology that makes her invisible so long as no one thinks she's there.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Simon, Owen and Alysha.