Samuel Blink and the Forbidden Forest (also known as Shadow Forest) is a novel written by British novelist Matt Haig.
His aunt's lengthy list of rule contain two that stand out in particular: do not enter the forest, and do not enter the attic. Naturally, this just stokes his curiousity. When he breaks the latter, he finds a book, called The Creatures of Shadow Forest, written by Prof. Horatio Tanglewood, describing supernatural, incredibly dangerous creatures within said forest.
The question is, why are they so dangerous?
- Achilles' Heel: Most creatures in the forest each have one, and they are each listed in the book.
- Big Bad: The Changemaker.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: The Truth Pixie.
- Character Name and the Noun Phrase
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin:
- All the troll's names work this way. Any troll that is known for any particular thing is named after that. For example, the left head of a two-headed troll would be called "Troll-the-Left". A weaver troll would be called "Troll-the-Weaver". This creates problems, as there are many generic "Troll-Sons", "Troll-Daughters", "Troll-Fathers", and "Troll-Mothers", with only one family of them actually important to the plot.
- Also the Truth Pixie.
- Foreign Queasine: Reindeer soup and gjetost cheese, although there are a couple cases of them actually liking the stuff they try.
- Henpecked Husband: Troll-Father.
- Informed Obscenity: Stinkymudfungle!
- Magic Is Evil: Discussed, but not used.
- Pardon My Klingon:
- The troll swearword "flenk".
- Also "Stinkymudfungle".
- Sorcerous Overlord: The Changemaker.
- The Unpronounceable: There is a character named "Vjpp".