Marak Fourfingers is no more. But the information recorded in his Bequeathed Narratives presents the ruthless God-Emperor of the bleak continent of Kadish with a unique opportunity. Marak's writings could give him access to the rune that will grant omnipotence, the Eighth Rune, and then the God-Emperor would be invincible. A young rune priest and a sword master are sent to Carolia to steal the book a near impossible task. At the same time Serina, a young Viguru priestess from Carolia, is taken captive by rune priests. She will face a time of cruelty and misery in the terrible Home of the Sisterhood, and a humiliating introduction to the God-Emperor.
Tropes in this duology:
- Ghost City: Ghelan ends up in one at the beginning of the second book.
- God-Emperor: The people of Kadish consider their emperor to be this.
- Legendary in the Sequel: Marak has become this.
- Religion Is Magic: A continued theme from the first series.
- Spin-Offspring: The son of Egon and Armana shows up.