A 1976 young adult book written by Mildred Taylor, that takes place in The Great Depression. The story is centered on the Logan family, specifically Cassie Logan, and deals with the years changing and the kids' coming of age.
- Break the Cutie: Cassie during the Strawberry trip, for starters.
- Bump into Confrontation: When Cassie accidentally bumps into Lillian Jean.
- Coming-of-Age Story
- Downer Ending: The Logans stop the lynching, but only by setting their own fields on fire, and T.J. has next to no hope of escaping the death penalty.
- Gentle Giant: Mr. Morrison.
- The Great Depression
- Intergenerational Friendship: Mr. Morrison and the Logans. Mr. Jamison, too. He's known Big Ma since he was a small child and tries to do his best to protect the family.
- Jerkass: T.J. He has no problem getting his brother, or Stacey, in trouble.
- Karma Houdini: The Simms. And a lot of others.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Even the teachers at their school refer to Little Man almost exclusively as such. People only address him by his real name, Clayton Chester, when they mean serious business, according to Cassie.
- Manipulative Bastard: T.J. again.
- Only Sane Man: Stacey at times, and Jeremy can count as this.
- Serious Business: Little Man's insistence that his clothes be clean at all times.
- The Smurfette Principle: Cassie is the only daughter in the Logan family.
- Title Drop: Late in the storyRoll of thunder, hear my cry,Over the water, by and byOld man comin' down the line, whip in hand to beat me down,But I ain't gonna let him turn me 'round.