This science fiction story by KA Holt was published in 2016. Ramona "Rae" Darling and her younger sister Temple live in a colony on a remote moon. The human settlers are constantly battling the moon's natives, dubbed "the Cheese". Being a girl is a liability, because they are oppressed by the settlers and kidnapped by the Cheese. When Rae and Temple are kidnapped, they find an accepting society, where girls are trained to be fierce warriors. Temple is delighted, but Rae questions her own loyalties.
Red Moon Rising contains examples of:
- An Arm and a Leg: Natka gets his arm amputated after it is infected.
- Binary Suns: The star system the book takes place in has two suns.
- Ear Ache: The Kihuut cut off homesteaders' ears.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Tootie" for Rae.
- Emotional Bruiser: "Mayrikafsa" means Crying Warrior
- Fingore: Rae cuts off the tip of a man's finger in a fight.
- Initiation Ceremony: Rae has to fight Natka, then she and Temple are branded with a "third eye".
- Little Miss Badass: Temple's only nine, but she's a deadly shot with a bow.
- Man Bites Man: Rae wins her fight with Natka by biting.
- Meaningful Rename: After joining the Kihuut, Rae and Temple are renamed Mayrikafsa and Kalashava.
- Space Western: It plays very much like European settlers encountering native Americans.
- Took a Level in Badass: Rae and Temple are taught to fight.
- Wrench Wench: Rae is a good engineer, and builds a prosthetic arm for Natka.